The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage 1960s Omega Seamaster 166.010 Original BLACK Dial

Up for sale is this handsome late 1960s reference 166.010 Omega Seamaster "Special" in all steel 3-piece case and featuring a stunning and rare original gloss black dial with luminous-filled white gold markers. This beautiful black dial is Near Mint and overall this wonderful example of '60s Seamaster dress watch is in Excellent+ vintage condition with sharp edges and the case and back showing no real polish that I can detect. Under the hood, it features the highly regarded Omega caliber 565 automatic movement with quickset date, which was last service by my watchmaker in November 2015.

In addition, this classic '60s Seamaster comes on its period correct beads-of-rice bracelet and I am also including a very nice handmade black leather strap that I feel also compliments the watch. For whatever reason — perhaps the enhanced luminous dial? — this model is referred to as a "Special" in Omega's vintage database. It is also believed that this case and dial combo is likely one of Gerald Genta's designs for the company. Looking at the beautiful proportions and ergonomics of this watch on the wrist one can easily see why.

The asking price for this outstanding example of classic Omega Seamaster "Special" with rare black dial is $1275 USD OBRO, which includes fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Bank Wire always preferred but Paypal is also OK on this watch with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

CASE & CASEBACK: Beautifully proportioned 3-piece steel case with pressure fit steel bezel and screwed back measures a classic gent's 35mm wide not including crown x 42mm long. There are some minor marks from wear and a few minor scratches but the lugs show no real polish, with the edges sharp and pronounced and the sides showing their original vertically striated finish — easily Excellent and likely unpolished vintage condition. The bezel has a few scuffs/marks but is also super sharp, likewise Excellent. The outer back has a few minor scratches but also appears unpolished and features a super crisp Hippocampus medallion — Excellent+ external cosmetic condition. The correct reference 166.010 with '67 date code and all other period nomenclature are present inside the corrosion-free screwed back, including the Huguenin Freres "HF" signature made famous by their Speedmaster cases.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful and Near Mint factory-printed gloss black dial featuring hand-riveted white gold bar markers filled with Tritium lume and applied Omega logo and date window frame. All original dial text in silver is crisp and legible, albeit tricky to photograph. The luminous filled Dauphine hands and baton sweep seconds show their age a bit more with some minor signs of corrosion but no loss of matching lume — Excellent condition on the hands. Simply a beautiful, elegant layout on this remarkable original Seamaster dial and I don't have to tell my fellow Omega fanatics how hard it is to find an original black dial from this, period especially in this kind of gorgeous condition.

CROWN: Correct for the era, I believe, smaller knurled signed Omega steel winding crown is Near Mint. The crown winds and pulls out to set the time and then quicksets the date by repeatedly pulling it out to the second position as designed.

CRYSTAL: Omega-signed low domed acrylic crystal has been Polywatched but still shows some residual scratches and marks from the years. It is clear and chip-free, though, and in Very Good+ vintage condition.

MOVEMENT: Powering this classic Seamaster is Omega's in-house 24-Jewel caliber 565 full-rotor auto movement with swan-neck regulator, arguably part of one the best mass-produced movement families in the history of horology. This iteration features Omega's unique quickset system that changes the date instantly by repeatedly pulling out the crown past the time-setting position. The movement serial # of 26,39x,xxx dates to circa 1968, well within range for the date of the case. All plating is intact, very clean and shiny, although the center bridge does not quite match, being a bit rosier than the rest, and so perhaps has been replaced at some point in its long life. As mentioned above, I last had the watch fully service in November, 2015 and in fact just had a new date jumper installed. Therefore, this watch is running strong and keeping excellent time and is guaranteed to be working properly at the time of shipment.

BRACELET & STRAP: This great Seamaster comes on it period correct "J/M" 5-row beads-of-rice steel bracelet with "11" ends. The bracelet shows only minor stretch and marks — easily Excellent condition. It is also a good length and should fit up to about a 7 1/2" wrist at maximum extension. I am also including a very nice, barely worn handmade black leather strap with generic steel buckle for maximum versatility for the new owner. This watch has a lug width of 18mm.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great Vintage Omega Seamaster is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

Messages In This Thread

FS: Vintage 1960s Omega Seamaster 166.010 Original BLACK Dial
ON HOLD. Best, T. nt
SOLD. Best, T. nt
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE