The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage Heuer Autavia Chronograph 1163 Siffert 1969 Mfg.

Vintage Heuer Autavia model 1163 with the white, so called Siffert, dial is a dream watch for Heuer collectors.
If you search the Internet you will find that the prices for average condition examples are running about $9000. About $1000 more with the original box as you see here.
First Heuer Siffert edition with Chronomatic on dial will set you back over $60,000 !!!
The Heuer offered here is just as rare as CHRONOMATIC, may be more so...
It is the second edition, one that directly followed the CHRONOMATIC. The hour sub dial is still 3,6,9,12.
All of the Heuer Autavia models I have seen so far on the Internet have SWISS printed on the dial above the date window.
This one does not!! It makes it a VERY RARE example indeed. Otherwise this dial is classified as MK 3.
One very similar to the Heuer offered here sold at Christies auction in June 2017 for $87,500 !!!
It was an earlier rare variant dial with CHRONOMATIC at the top. It's serial number was less then 600 away from mine and I believe that the serial numbers were issued for all Heuer watches, not just for Autavia models.
Also the Christies sale shows this model in a poorer condition than mine!!
Here is their description:
Heuer. An extremely rare stainless-steel automatic chronograph wristwatch with date and ‘Jo Siffert’ dial. Signed Heuer, Autavia, Chronomatic Model, Ref. 1163T, Case No. 141’373, circa 1969. This lot was offered in Rare Watches and American Icons on 21 June 2017 at Christie’s in New York and sold for $87,500
Here is the link:https://www.christies.com/features/5-reasons-collectors-love-vintage-Heuer-chronographs-8406-1.aspx?sc_lang=en

The model shown here has a number 1163 on one side of the case and a serial number which starts with 141 on the other side.
There is also a hand engraved number on the edge of the case back. It starts with CP198...
I read somewhere that Jo Siffert was selling these Autavia watches to his friends and others as he was able to obtain them from Heuer for a discounted price. This could be one of those watches.
Cal. 11 automatic movement is running well as it was just recently serviced by my watchmaker.
Case back is signed HEUER LEONIDAS S.A. SWISS and STAINLESS STEEL below.
There is only one other watchmaker’s mark and the date is 05, I assume 2005.
The watch is all original in our opinion, though the case shows signs of surface detailing.
This is a treasure to posses!!
I also have an original MH bezel which you can have instead of this one if you so desire.
The lugs show some touch up but I have found a reference to a finisher who has the tooling to put a finish just as the original.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE