The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage Omega 166.073 Seamaster 120 “Deep Blue” Diver

Up for sale is this cult classic late 1960s/early 1970s reference 166.073 Omega Seamaster 120 with amazing “Deep Blue” dial. This big steel diver was the next iteration in Omega's increasingly diverse "professional" divers line during that era, following on from the legendary Seamaster 300 and immediately preceding the famed PloProf. And it features the same sort of rugged build quality as those others with a large all-steel "pontoon" lug case measuring 41mm x 46mm and originally boasting superior water resistance for open water diving.

This big steel diver came to me via trade with a re-done dial and re-lumed hands. So I hunted down a correct period blue Tritium dial in beautiful glossy Near Mint condition. I also sourced a genuine Omega modern Luminova gladiator handset that actually matches quite well, although it will obviously hold its glow for quite a long time unlike the Trit dial and bezel. Additionally, while my watchmaker was swapping out the dial & hands late last year I had him overhaul the movement. Therefore, I will guarantee the great caliber 565 quickset date movement under the hood for 6 months of normal, non-abusive use. Overall, the watch itself is in Excellent properly restored vintage condition and this big blue beauty is a real stunner on the wrist.

The asking price for this great Vintage Omega SM 120 Deep Blue is $3,650 USD OBRO, which includes fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Bank Wire always preferred but Paypal is also OK on this watch with split fees (+2% to the buyer — sorry, no FF). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

CASE & CASEBACK: Large 41mm wide x 46mm long x around 11.5mm thick “pontoon” lug case is in Very Good vintage condition with numerous wear marks and nicks but original satin finish still visible. Outer caseback is the more uncommon Hippocampus medallion-only version without waterproof nomenclature, which is quite sharp, and there are only some minor marks from poor opening technique — Excellent cosmetic condition to the exterior back. Inner caseback has all the correct Omega period hallmarks, including the correct 166.037 reference number and “HF” casemaker’s stamp, and is corrosion free. The caseback screws down tightly and smoothly.

DIAL & HANDS: Absolutely Near Mint genuine Omega period correct "T SWISS MADE T" Deep Blue dial featuring a lovely biscuity patina with only some very minor crazing and signs of age visible under a powerful loupe. As mentioned above I sourced this dial at no small expense to replace the re-dial that was originally in the watch when I acquired it. Modern OEM Omega Luminova gladiator hands and white spear-tip sweep seconds are obviously a different compound than the dial's Tritium but actually look pretty good, just a few shades lighter. Obviously, the hands will glow much longer than the dial’s original Tritium luminous but that’s a nice bit of modern functionality, IMHO. On the wrist all one can really see is a beautiful vintage SM 120 dial and those iconic Seamaster deep diver hands. I will also be including the original set of hands that came with the watch in the purchase, which are re-lumed but also the true period correct shorter style, so if you want to have one of today’s master relume artisans play around with those to match the dial you can have ‘em with my compliments.

CROWN: Prominent and large Omega screw-in crown screws and unscrews correctly and winds and pulls out to the time-setting & rapid quickset date positions, as it should. It shows wear that has resulted in loss of the steel cladding right in the center of the Omega logo (it’s probably the original crown) but is otherwise fully functional.

BEZEL: Original serrated bi-directional diver's elapsed time bezel is Excellent and the original Tritium-filled acrylic inlay is likewise Excellent with just a couple of scratches but no cracks or real loss of lume to the numbers/markers. The ratchet-style bezel is surprisingly tight and fully functional — these are usually very loose after so many years — and rotates with distinct clicks in both directions when lifted slightly and then essentially locks into place when pushed down, as designed.

CRYSTAL: Definitely an older signed Omega hesalite crystal that shows a number of fine scratches and a sort of hazing effect from small marks accumulated through years of wear. Nice and period genuine, certainly clear enough and perfectly legible to the naked eye, but no more than Very Good cosmetic condition.

MOVEMENT: Legendary Omega cal. 565 24-jewel automatic gilt-finished movement with swan neck regulator. The 31,43x,xxx movement serial number dates the watch to ca. 1969-70. I had this excellent movement fully serviced late last year while the new old stock dial was being installed so it is running accurately and with good power reserve, as well as correct quickest date function via repeatedly pulling out the crown to the second position. I will therefore guarantee this fine watch movement for 6 months of normal non-abusive use for added peace of mind to the new owner.

BRACELET: This cool SM 120 comes on a period correct 1171 bracelet with the hard-to-find correct "634" ends. However, the clasp blades have been swapped out at some point in the past, probably for a repair back in the day, and they read “1155/146,” which is for a Constellation model. That said the bracelet is still in Excellent condition with only minor scratches and minor stretch. The signed Omega clasp is still the correct 1171-style and overall it wears great and is a good option to have whatever the blades say. ;) At full extension it should fit up to about a 7 1/2" wrist. This large Omega SM 120 has a 22mm lug width.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way shape or form.

This classic Omega Seamaster 120 is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE