The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Extremely rare Certina DS AMAGNETIC w/ box and bracelet

I am offering this exceptionally rare DS Amagnetic, with a white and red dial. These were produced in very low numbers, as Certina collectors know, ostensibly to compete with the IWC Ingenieur and Omega Railmaster during the 1960s. Why the production was so small remains a mystery, but I suspect that it may be because the other two manufacturers had begun production of their models years earlier, and had already established a strong presence in the specialized market. Also, the high cost of production of these technically sophisticated models could not be as easily be absorbed by Certina. I would say, though, that the quality of the DS Amagnetic is, in most respects, similar to the other two, iconic models.

Like Omega with its Railmaster, Certina used high-class Huguenin Freres ("hf") cases to house the faraday cages. Inside was their own excellent, proprietary "double-security" movement shock absorber, high-quality movements, and attractive, soft iron dials.

The cases used on the Amagnetic DS measure 36mm in diameter excluding the crown, but are thicker than ordinary DS models for obvious reasons. The case on this watch is in excellent, unpolished condition, though there are two scratches on the back from tool slippage. They could be polished out fairly easily, if desired. Note that the 114 reference on the inside of the case denotes the Amagnetic version.

Here is an interesting dealer sheet that was provided by Certina when the Magnetic models were introduced:

The dial on this watch is patinated, though I find it to be quite attractive. Of all of the DS Magnetic dial variations, I find this white with red accent version to be the most pleasing. They are also extremely rare. There is some degradation of the red outer track towards the bottom, and also a small "bleaching" (not sure how it happened) right around the center pinion. There is also some oxidation of the hands, though I imagine that a cleaner set could certainly be sourced from a donor DS and swapped without much difficulty.

The cal. 25-651 movement is in excellent condition, and features these characteristics:
• 11.5”’
• automatic
• date
• sweep second
• 27/28 jewels
• f = 19800 A/h
• power reserve 43h

I did have this watch serviced a few years ago, but to be safe, would suggest another service for regular wear.

As you can see from the photos, the watch will come with what are presumed to be its original box and bracelet. I would say that the bracelet is in very good condition, with little stretch. The face of the clasp shows signs of use, but not abuse. The box is excellent. I will also add a rare, metal dealer display piece. This did not come with the watch originally – I bought it separately.

Pricing watches such as this one is always difficult, as so few ever appear on the market. I have sold two DS Amegnetic watches previously, both for much higher prices than I am asking for this one. Both of them had black dials, and one was a first generation example.

I ask €2400, but will consider serious offers. I prefer a bank transfer, but may also consider PayPal. I will ship the watch from my home in Lisbon, Portugal, using EMS (express). I am well known on vintage forums around the world, and have many references for those who may not recognize my screen name.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Tony C.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE