The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: 2015 Omega Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich “First and Only *LINK* *PIC*

Album: https://imgur.com/a/bmpLCkv

Serial Number: 87,5XX,XXX

Reference: 311.30.42.30.01.006 (Sapphire Sandwich)

Caliber: Calibre Omega 1863

Price: $5,500 OBO (Paypal, wire transfer)

Shipping: Included in sale price. I can offer USPS Priority Mail with 3rd party insurance (faster) or USPS registered mail with in-house USPS insurance (slower)

Details: While the Speedmaster was originally introduced in 1957 as a racing watch, it wasn't until 1969 when the hand-wound chronograph accompanied the crew of Apollo 11 onto the surface of the Moon that it received the legendary status that it holds today. Two known Speedmaster references were worn by the crew of Apollo 11, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin wore a 105.012, while Michael Collins wore the later 145.012. One of the closest current references to either of these models is this watch right here, the ref. 311.30.42.30.01.006.

Introduced in 2014 to replace the popular ref. 3573.50.00, the then-new Moonwatch was effectively identical to the watch worn by the Apollo 11 crew other than a few small details such as the luminescent material used in the hands and hour markers (Super-Luminova rather than tritium) and the exact movement, which is caliber 1861, a modern version of the original 861 movement (itself an update to the legendary 321 caliber) that uses 18 jewels rather than 17 and is rhodium plated. Notably, the "sapphire sandwich" Speedy features just that, a sapphire crystal protecting the dial as well as a sapphire exhibition caseback showing off the movement. Outside of these technical updates, almost all other aesthetic details carried over, the black dial with white accents, the combination of 30-minute, 12-hour, and small seconds sub-dials, and the 42mm case in stainless steel with matching bracelet.

In 2021, OMEGA introduced the next generation of the Moonwatch with Co-Axial calibers and stepped dials among other updates, yet for a seven-year period, the ref. 311.30.42.30.01.006 served as the modern flagship of the iconic design family, and today is all but guaranteed to become a contemporary Speedmaster classic.

Interestingly this watch’s caseback has the erroneous text claiming the Omega Speedmaster as “The First and Only Watch Worn on the Moon”. With the discovery of astronaut Dave Scott’s personal Bulova which traveled to the moon with him on Apollo 15, Omega could not longer claim the Speedmaster as the first and only watch worn on the moon. The caseback was revised for the 2nd half of this reference’s production run to remove “and only”.

You should know: I am the original owner of this watch since January 2016. I have kept the box, papers and all accessories. Purchase will include: outside and inside boxes, papers, manuals, warranty cards, loupe, Velcro strap, nato strap, spare links, medallion, springbar tool, hand tag, all the original stuff that came with it when I bought it. I will also toss in a milanese mesh bracelet and an Uncle Seiko 1171 style bracelet with spare links. I wore this watch daily for many years and it is in good condition overall. Please see the photo album for detailed photos showing the condition of the watch and bracelet. Some springbar tool marks on the back of the lugs, some desk diving scratches on the bracelet, see pictures. The watch was serviced under warranty in early 2020.

Location: I am located in NYC and am happy to meet in person if convenient

References: I’ve sold a watch and bought a watch on r/watchexchange before. Please click the reddit ad link to see the reddit ad and my feedback.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE