The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage Heuer Camaro ref. 7220NT Exotic CHOCOLATE Dial

Sadly, I have a few too many ponies in the paddock so I’m hoping to pass along this wonderful longtime piece of my collection to another collector who will enjoy owning it as much as I have…

Up for sale is this absolutely stunning vintage Heuer reference 7220NT Camaro chronograph featuring a beautiful Near Mint+ Third Execution Exotic pure Chocolate dial with stunning red Tachy track and orange chrono hands. This example is in overall Excellent original vintage condition for a 50+-year-old watch and, along with its pristine dial, also retains its original brushed sunburst finish on the top of the iconic cushion-shaped Camaro case. I have also just had its famed Valjoux 72 column wheel movement fully overhauled for the convenience of the next owner, including replacement of the mainspring, so it’s good to go with all timekeeping and chronograph functions operating as they should.

This 7220 Camaro, which Heuer heads more knowledgeable the I have dubbed the 7220NT Third Execution Exotic, has the correct 174,xxx case serial number for this specific iteration of brown dial, which was only made for a very short time. I know everyone raves about the Panda versions of Camaros as the ne plus ultra but having owned both, this stunning and uniformly "tropical" brown dial blows them away, IMO (in fact, the dials on these are not actually "tropical" per se, as the consensus opinion of the experts is that these were born brown and I’d have to agree). Personally, I call this one King Camaro and I think when you peruse the pictures in different lighting conditions you’ll see why I do. After all, you find Panda dials on Carreras and Autavias but nothing as unique as this. There is just something so appropriate to the funky Camaro case shape and the late-60s/early-70s ethos that makes a deep brown dial with a red Tachy track and orange chrono hands totally work. And I know the lucky next owner will enjoy the one-of-a-kind style of this cool brown beauty as much as I have.

The asking price for this rare & fantastic choco-dialed vintage Heuer Camaro is $8,650 USD, including fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Bank Wire only on this transaction. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting. You can contact me at tomvox1@hotmail.com or tomvox1@gmail.com, whichever you prefer.

CASE & BACK: All-stainless steel two-piece screw-back, cushion-shaped case (somewhat like a larger version of the venerable Rolex "Army") with sunburst-brushed top and polished chamfers & sides measures 37mm wide (not including crown) x 45mm lug tip to lug tip. The case appears to me to be unpolished with the desirable sunburst finish on top still intact and all edges sharp. The watch has certainly been worn and there are some minor scuffs, light scratches and nicks but it still is in Excellent vintage condition for a more than 50-year-old wristwatch. The stepped, notched screw-in caseback also appears unpolished and shows its original vertical milling. It is clean and dedication-free with only some superficial scratches — likewise Excellent condition. The caseback screws down smoothly and tightly. In looking at the inner back closely I’m only able to discern my watchmaker’s service marks, so he may actually have been the first to work on the movement. It is, of course, signed with the correct minimalist Heuer-Leonidas nomenclature of the period. The full 174,xxx serial number, appropriate for the extremely limited production of this exact dial/hands layout, and correct 7220 model number are both fully legible between their respective lugs.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful original third execution chocolate brown Exotic dial with surrounding fire engine red Tachymeter track, which is what makes this dial so uncommon. This stunning matte brown dial features stepped, engine turned constant seconds and 30-minute & 12-hour chronograph sub-dials with high gloss rims. The dial is absolutely Near Mint+, with only the slightest bit of galvanic reaction around the original Tritium luminous dots. They are all fully present, which is hard to come by on these models, and have acquired a lovely café au lait patina. Putting the capital E in Exotic, this Camaro sports orange chrono sweep seconds & small minute and hour totalizing hands to compliment the more conventional Heuer steel & black inlay luminous hour and minute hands and small white constant seconds at "9". The hands are likewise Near Mint and the Tritium-lumed timekeeping hands are also perfectly intact and match the dial plots tonally. All of the luminous lights up briefly under UV light and then fades rather quickly in uniform fashion. Simply a stunning dial and hands layout from the golden age of funky chronos and one that truly shines in the sun!

CROWN & PUSHERS: Signed Heuer push-in crown is Excellent cosmetically, as are the correct matching fluted pushers. The winding crown sits tight to the case, winds and pulls out to the time-setting position as it should. The top pusher stops and starts the chronograph and the bottom pusher crisply resets all chrono registers precisely to zero as designed.

CRYSTAL: There’s a good chance that this older domed acrylic crystal could well be original to the watch, as crazing and some mild "fogging" is apparent at certain angles and under magnification. It's clear enough for the naked eye, however, and chip-free with only a few minor marks and scratches from wear — Very Good possibly original-to-the-watch condition on this vintage plexi.

MOVEMENT: Under the hood is the legendary manual wind Valjoux 72 chronograph movement, which has powered some of the most iconic chronos in history, nicely finished for Heuer and looking extremely bright and pristine. As mentioned above, I’ve just had this lovely classic column wheel chrono movement fully serviced, since I hadn’t done since owning the watch (and maybe it hadn't ever been before!). This included the installation of a new mainspring as well as a full overhaul. Therefore, timekeeping is accurate, power reserve is strong and all chrono functions are operating flawlessly. This is guaranteed to be the case at the time of shipping.

STRAP: This great Camaro comes on a lightly used tan padded leather racing strap with generic steel double-tang buckle (made by Fluco, I believe). I have the exact same strap in darker brown with even less use that I’ll also include in the sale. This watch has a lug width of 19mm.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great genuine vintage Heuer Camaro is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
You can contact me at tomvox1@hotmail.com or tomvox1@gmail.com, whichever you prefer.

Messages In This Thread

FS: Vintage Heuer Camaro ref. 7220NT Exotic CHOCOLATE Dial
SOLD. Thanks CT & Buyer! Best, T. nt
OHPF. Best, T. nt
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE