The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: FS: 1970s/80s Bulova Marine Star Chrono w/ Bracelet

This is one of my all time favourite chrono designs but I'm building up a war chest and some things have to go... :(

The Bulova Marine Star is quite rare and has an interesting history. Although this was not an issued military watch it shares its design with watches that were, such as the A. Cairelli Tipo CP2, made by Zenith; and there is a lot of evidence to suggest the case may in fact be the same (having been sold to trade by Zenith following difficulties with Cairelli). Mine comes with the original bracelet which is truly scarce, the only other examples I've seen have been in photographs.

I've had this watch for a year. I had it fully serviced by a good watchmaker 11 months ago, and I've worn the watch on only a handful of occasions since. Overall, the watch is not quite pristine but certainly in excellent condition for its age.

The details are:
- Hand-winding Valjoux 7731 chronograph movement
- Screw-down crown (functions perfectly)
- Mineral crystal
- 50m WR
- 60 click bezel (functions smoothly)
- 42.8mm diameter
- 22mm lug width
- Original bracelet (from end to end, inc. watch head, its 215mm long with 20mm adjustment on the clasp)

As mentioned, the watch has been fully serviced since I bought it, and I will include the service invoice. It was also given a 5 bar pressure test and I will include a copy of the test print out.

In the spirit of full disclosure I should mention that there are a few small marks on the mineral crystal near the 6 (these are only visible from some angles, but they are there), the caseback has some minor marks commensurate with wear on a bracelet, and the bracelet clasp has some small scuffs. The only other issue is the aging of the bezel triangle at zero/12 o'clock. Actually, this was deep orange when it arrived, but my watchmaker "did me a favour" :roll: and cleaned it so now it has a gradation from orange to pale creamy.

Here are some photos (the best I could do given current light conditions):

Price:
Owing to the rarity, good condition, and the presence of the bracelet I'm looking for:
£1,345 inc. delivery in the EU/UK (payment by bank transfer preferred). Other regions will need to add ca. £20 to the price.

More photos are available, including a movement shot if anyone would like them. I haven't posted regularly on this forum but I can provide plenty of references from other well known forums.

Thanks for looking.

Messages In This Thread

FS: FS: 1970s/80s Bulova Marine Star Chrono w/ Bracelet
Re: FS: FS: 1970s/80s Bulova Marine Star Chrono w/ Bracelet
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE