The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage Mido MULTI-CENTERCHRONO w/Gorgeous Black 24-hr Dial

Up for sale is this classic 1940s-1950s Mido "Multi-Centerchrono" 4-handed chronograph with wonderful original black military dial with multi-colored tracks. This rare Mido features their great caliber 1300, based on Valjoux 23, which utilizes two centrally mounted hands to count elapsed time in seconds & minutes rather than subregister counters. By means of the elaborately printed concentric Tachymeter and Telemeter calibrations surrounding the dial, multiple elapsed-time calculations can be executed on the face of the watch. This super-cool Multi-Centerchrono also features an all-stainless steel case manufactured by the famed case makers, FB/Taubert et Fils, who also made cases during this era for Patek Phillipe, Vacheron and Movado--their fluted pushers are an extra-special detail! Overall, this great Mido is in Very Good vintage condition with an Excellent+ dial and all functions are working properly. This watch will come with a 6-month movement guarantee.

The asking price for this great Mido Multicenter is $2750 USD including fully insured worldwide shipping. Bank Wire always preferred but Paypal OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer) unless by eCheck. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

Click Here for Large Dial Scan>>> http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/tomvox1/mido%20multicenter/MidoMulticenter-Master.jpg

CASE & CASEBACK: This sweet little chrono measures approximately 35 x 43mm and rides tall on the wrist at 13mm to the top of the crystal. The FB/Taubert et Fils manufactured case, with its distinctive sloping, faceted lugs, shows some light past polishing, IMO, but has acquired some nicks and dings through the years, particularly to the underside of the top lugs for some reason--still Very Good overall vintage condition. The polygon-style water resistant screw-in case back shows some scratches to the mirrored finish--likewise Very Good external cosmetic condition. Note the simple "Made In Switzerland" stamp, which is indicative of an early model, as opposed to the later "Waterproof", "Shock-Resisting", etc nomenclature. The inner caseback is corrosion-free and has all correct Mido hallmarks of the era.

DIAL & HANDS: Absolutely Excellent+ 100% original factory-printed gloss/lacquer dial with 2-color gilt printing is simply gorgeous with only some patchiness to the original gloss finish and one or two minor imperfections visible under a high-powered loupe. This is an uncommon Multicenter layout, not only being primarily black but also with 24-hour Arabics printed next to the original (non-glowing) Radium-luminous 12-hour numerals. With its outer copper-hued Tachymeter scale, white minute ring and gilt Telemeter calibrations, this is definitely one of the most complex and stunning dials that I have ever come across--truly a case of more is more! I have had my watchmaker touch up the original copper "sword & dagger" hour and minute hands sympathetically with new non-luminous fill, as the original lume was cracking and discolored to a dark green--Excellent restored condition. Likewise, the original red minute-counter hand has also had new lume highlights added for enhanced readability. The silver sweep seconds hand is also quite visible but I am unsure of its originality--I have never seen another Multicenter with one like it. It functions perfectly, however, as do all the other hands, of course.

CROWNS & PUSHERS: Beautiful fluted pushers are Near Mint and broad "mushroom" knurled crown is Very Good with some marks/dents. The crown winds and pulls out to the time-setting position as it should and the pushers are quite crisp when they stop, start & reset the chrono hands. For me, these stylized pusher caps are the cherry on top of what is already a beautifully designed chronograph.

CRYSTAL: Tall, low-dome acrylic crystal appears older and is Excellent with only some minor accumulated scratches.

MOVEMENT: Beneath the protective dust cap we find the Mido 17-jewel caliber 1300 column wheel chronograph with Incabloc shock protection, which according to Best Fit is based on the Vajoux VZ/23, in lovely cosmetic condition with bright copper-gilt finish. A rare bird indeed! I do not know this watch's service history but it keeps great time and all chronograph functions operate perfectly, including proper resetting. I am so confident in the watch's performance that I will guarantee this complicated movement for 6-months after purchase.

BAND: This great Multi-Centerchrono comes on a lightly worn generic black leather band with dark gray stitching in Excellent condition. This watch takes straps with 18mm ends.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form due to its age and the dodgy water resistance of most vintage chronos in general.

This great Vintage Mido Multi-Centerchrono is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

Messages In This Thread

FS: Vintage Mido MULTI-CENTERCHRONO w/Gorgeous Black 24-hr Dial
Now REDUCED to *$2550 USD OBRO* Shipped. Best, T. nt
ON HOLD. Best, T. nt
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE