The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage Tudor ref. 7909 Small Rose Oyster-Prince w/Cal. 390

Up for sale is this lovely circa mid-1950s Tudor ref. 7909 stainless steel "Small Rose" Oyster-Prince 34 featuring a gorgeous original eggshell dial that has acquired a creamy patina through the years. Knowing what we now know about Hans Wilsdorf's conception of Tudor as Rolex's junior brand, this classic model is from the first few years after the relaunch of the marque and has the bespoke Tudor full rotor caliber 390, the same engine found in the classic Tudor Submariners of the late 1950s and early 1960s. Non-Sub Tudors only used the 390 for a few years before moving on to the more inexpensive ETA calibers and this scarce and desirable movement has just been fully serviced by my Master Watchmaker for years more faithful service to its new owner. It is therefore guaranteed for 6 months for all normal, non-absuive use.

This ref. 7909, patterned after the "Hillary" Rolex Explorers and sent on promotional expeditions of their own, features a 3-body Rolex Oyster case and rare Brevet "+" Twinlock crown only found in the mid-50s. It is in Very Good overall original vintage condition.

The asking price for this very early and fully serviced Tudor Oyster-Prince is $1150 USD OBRO, including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Bank Wire is always appreciated but Paypal is OK on this watch with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

CASE & BACK: Classic Tudor gents size 34mm wide (not including crown) x 41mm long x 11mm tall case shows little if any polish with the lugs quite thick and sharp and the lug holes not distorted. The original satin finish of the top lugs has been smoothed out back to shiny from years of wear and there are some small nicks. Mirrored sides also have some scratches and nicks. Conservatively and by my strict standards, I rate the case as in Very Good and perhaps unpolished vintage condition. The outer caseback has numerous scratches and also shows little if any polish with some gouges to the knurling from poor opening technique and/or incorrect tools-- Good cosmetic condition overall. This caseback predates the later "Oyster Case by Rolex" nomenclature and instead has the serial and model # on the outside: 7909 is one of the earliest full rotor Tudor references and a 150,k serial # indicates circa 1955-6 production. The inner caseback is stamped with all correct early "Montres Tudor" nomenclature of the period. Neither the inner case or inner back show any corrosion.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful Excellent to Near Mint original factory printed eggshell dial with Small Rose logo and a lovely cream-ivory patina, most likely induced by the original Radium hands--note also the light Radium burns towards the center pointing to "7" and "8". Sunken arrow markers and "12" are white rhodium plated, not yellow gilt as is much more common. Original Radium luminous dots are mostly present along the very finely calibrated minute track although some have "exploded"/flattened, leaving only their base. Dauphine hour and minute hands, which have aged to a brassy finish with all luminous fill intact, and the classy blued steel sweep seconds hand are all likewise Excellent to Near Mint. Simply a lovely dial and hands layout on this early Tudor that makes an unmistakable vintage statement on the wrist!

BEZEL: Original smooth Explorer-style bezel also shows little if any polish with sharp edges, some scratches and a couple of dings --Very Good overall condition.

CROWN: Correct for the era and rare Rolex "+" Twinlock crown screws down tightly, and pulls out to the winding and non-hack time setting positions as it should. The tube protrudes a slight bit from the case side but wanting to keep everything original on this great watch, I did not have my watchmaker change it out.

CRYSTAL: Interesting very low dome acrylic crystal seems original to the watch just judging by the way it blends perfectly with the arc of the bezel. Very clear and Excellent condition with virtually no scratches but one small hairline down by "6".

MOVEMENT: Tudor pink gilt "Auto-Prince" caliber 390 17-jewel automatic movement, an exclusive alteration of the FEF 350 with full rotor auto-wind mechanism added. This caliber enabled Rolex to properly launch Tudor as the less expensive alternative to the main brand while still maintaining the highest quality demanded by Hans Wilsdorf after less than successful experiments with bumper autos. Note that a patent is mentioned on the weighted rotor and also note the "ROW" export code, indicating that this watch was destined for the North American market. This great movement, which is highly desirable in its own right, has just been full overhauled by my NYC watchmaker and will come with a 6-month warranty for all normal, non-abusive use. The cal. 390 can be a persnickety movement at this late date so having one recently serviced represents major peace of mind not to mention a potentially major money saver.

BAND: This classic Tudor comes on a brand new black genuine lizard 19mm strap with generic steel buckle that perfectly suits its elegance. I have only worn it once or twice in testing the watch.

As I have opened this Tudor to take photos of the movement & inner back and screwed it back down with just my hand wrench, as well as never having it pressure tested myself, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch.

This great 100% genuine Vintage Tudor Oyster-Prince is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

Messages In This Thread

FS: Vintage Tudor ref. 7909 Small Rose Oyster-Prince w/Cal. 390
Now REDUCED to *$1075 USD* OBRO. Best, T. nt
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE