The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: An Actual 100% Original Heuer Autavia 1163V ('Viceroy')! *PIC*

Heuer Autavia 1163V, 1972, Serial Number: 272066

This Heuer Autavia 1163V is the first Viceroy model I have seen on the forum for a very long time that does actually qualify as being 100% original. Every single component is in at least very good condition and a number of the more prominent features are flawless (and so qualify as mint) such as the dial, registers, hands, lume and plexiglass.

As with every automatic Autavia the life it has led can usually be best gauged from the condition of the bezel (especially where it meets the ratchet ring) and here it is very clean and bright with but a single very small graze by the 90 minute marker. The ratchet ring itself rotates crisply and cleanly.

The pushers and crown are very clean as are the apertures in which they sit.

The case and caseback (a deep dished Schmitz item) are beautifully preserved and unmolested. The case upper retains the 'eclat d'etoile' - starburst - factory finish in near mint condition, the concentric rings on the caseback are similarly undisturbed, and the flanks and lugs are sharp and clean with the factory brightwork set against the brushed aspects again being in near mint condition. The pushers and crown are very

The buckle is the correct sun stamped original and the strap (which has been swapped onto this watch for the purposes of the sale) is one I purchased NOS many years ago from Clerkenwell's Watch Service Centre that came in shallow cardboard tray wrapped in sellotape and accompanied by an equally NOS Heuer stock record with Heuer Time Ltd' and 'Argyl House, London NW1' printed on its face and with Autavia 9977' scribbled on the back. As Heuer Time Ltd are recorded as tenants at Argyl House from at least 1968 but are not listed beyond 1975 I am confident that the watch strap can be dated as having passed through Heuer's then London office between 1969 (the year the automatic Autavia 1163 first came to market with 20mm lug widths and a punched rallye strap) and no later than 1975.

This Autavia 1163V was last serviced by the ever excellent Nic Green (once of HeuerBoy, now Chronomatic) since when it has kept excellent time. All the complications work perfectly. I was particularly impressed at the time (and remain so now) at the smoothness of the sweep hand when the chronometer is started, the precision of the hands on the registers as they record elapsed time and the crispness with which it both starts and resets.

Both the watch strap stock note and an early, original and large (13 1/4" x 10 1/4") mint condition Heuer Viceroy advert clipped from an August 1972 copy of Car and Driver are included in the sale.

Asking price is £2,600.

BACS transfer preferred but PayPal accepted with the buyer bearing the 3% uplift.

Having parted with most of my collection over the past two years I have numerous excellent references and these can be supplied on request. I live in London and the watch is available for viewings at times to suit.

Messages In This Thread

FS: An Actual 100% Original Heuer Autavia 1163V ('Viceroy')! *PIC*
REDUCED:100% Original Heuer Autavia 1163V ('Viceroy') *PIC*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE