The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage Benrus Sky Chief Chronograph

...Perhaps you already own the ubiquitous Omega Speedy Pro? What a legendary watch, and I'll make no attempt to equate this Benrus Sky Chief to a Speedy. Still, this is a darn cool piece, especially if you have an aviation bent like I do. Personally I think the Sky Chief moniker would be on the official list of all time cool watch names...if such a list existed (Or does it?)

So I've decided to part with my vintage Benrus Sky Chief chronograph. Not because I don't love it (I do), but because I recently overspent slightly on a different chronograph, and have my sights set on another strong aviation-themed watch I've long admired. Sky Chiefs in general I think are getting harder to find, especially in all-original condition. This is the larger ~38.5mm version with the satin dial and coin-edge bezel, which was introduced some time later than the smaller 35mm black dial Sky Chief, and in smaller numbers. I'm not certain, but I'm thinking these particular Sky Chiefs date to the late 1950s and 1960s.

The pictures tell the story, it's in great vintage condition. I'm not an expert but believe it to be all original.

Dial and Hands : certainly the original dial and shows normal patina and character, much preferable (at least to me) than a re-dial, which is more common on these. Original hands in blued steel, very cool.

Crystal : appears to be original also, and extremely clean. High domed acrylic/plastic, more charm than a sapphire ever has

Crown & Pushers : Appear to be original also. This a manual wind movement and the crown winds smoothly and correctly, and sets the hands correctly. The pushers appear original also and function well. They depress and release crisply and don't stick.

Movement : The famous Valjoux 71, keeping good time and chronograph functions good- start, stop and reset to '0' correctly. I had the watch fully serviced last summer by Jesse Hueg, who is a master at these and did an incredible job. This included full clean, lube, and adjust, and replaced mainspring

Price is $2700 shipped in the U.S. Paypal fees would add 3% to that. If you don't fancy the cranberry shell cordovan pull-through strap (which I found matches the watch perfectly), the price is $2635 shipped.

(The first two pictures are my original seller's photos, from last summer)

In the 1940s and '50s in the United States, the public was a bit aviation mad. Air power having played such an important role in WWII, all those military men returning home, and transcontinental air travel beginning to blossom. I've read online, though not from official sources, that airlines TWA, Northwest, and KLM at one time provided these Benrus Sky Chief chronographs to their some of their flight crews. (I reached out to famous retired TWA Captain Barry Schiff to confirm this; he was interested in the question but could not confirm).

Anyway, cool watches these guys here. And this one is fully ready to wear and enjoy and should provide years more of reliable "on-time" service.

(The following series are the watchmaker's photos late last summer)

(And the following are my really bad iPhone pictures. But they show the cranberry Shell Cordovan strap)

(And these are just a little vintage aviation stuff to put you in the mood :)

(What a great airplane the Lockheed Connie was)

(My favorite airliner and airline. What a great bird. In the livery I remember her, though it came later than this Sky Chief)

(Old Benrus Sky Chief ad!)

(Texaco also used "Sky Chief" moniker)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE