The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

Combined reply...
In Response To: Re: You Must Be Kidding ! ! ! ()

Re: You Must Be Kidding ! ! ! Posted By: Marc. Date: 11/7/07 23:55:04 GMT

In Response To: You Must Be Kidding ! ! ! (jeff stein)

Hi Jeff,

To answer a few of your points,

Yes I concede that my tongue may have been slightly in my cheek with this argument but I do feel that to use the funds to improve a vintage Heuer is a benefit - though perhaps an intangible one.

A very intangible one, save to you, I'd think...

I could have argued, as you suggested, that I am "...a Heuer collector, and that if we delete your message, you will be upset, and might not be as excited about future postings here, to our detriment, as a community" but this looks a bit like blackmail and - not being devious by nature - it hadn't occurred to me, so well done you! As for your suggestions regarding offering free shipping, other discounts, and ending the auction early I feel they have some merit. However, having started my auction already and having had several bids I feel it would be unethical to change the nature of the auction and grossly unfair of me to end the auction early (despite being within ebay rules).

Often times, I've had auction's I've placed a bid on end early with a stated reason "This item is no longer available for sale" as the reason.

Was I disappointed at that turn of events?

Probably most likely, but it happens all the time and is part of the territory over at eBay, so I tend not to get too worked up about it because there is not a damned thing I can do about such instances.

The 2 pound bag of M&M's suggestion is a poor one as American friends assure me that the M&M's available in the U.K. are not a patch on the U.S. ones.

I'm sure there has to be some sort of English/British confectionary [No Crunchy Frogs please!] that would be a suitable and appropriate approximation. I seem to remember a couple of my favorites were available in the Isles the last couple of times I visited: Rolo and KitKat. Perhaps some suitable substitute could be worked out.

I'm sure it is great when Heuer collectors are flush with cash - as the owner of a Victorian house with a passion for old timepieces I can only look upon them with envy!

My problem lately is that while I have some cash, there isn't a huge selection of Heuer [or Omega, Zenith, Zodiac, Gallet, I could go on] timepieces which both appeal to me and are appropriately priced.

I was unaware when I posted the contentious link that I was in contravention of forum rules.

OK, I'll accept that.

I fully appreciate the time and fair-mindedness that both you and Chuck have given to this posting.

That's the big thing, we have to look out not only for the current situation but what the ramifications of our decision[s] today, 3 weeks, 3 months, and 3 years [and more] into the future. It's typically really not a good idea to sacrifice future situations for short term harmony. Because folks will hammer the moderators with such situations as "Precident" in the future. Sadly, it's only a matter of time before it happens.

As someone who enjoys the work that you both do on this forum and in the wider watch collecting world I, of course, will acquiesce to your wishes and remove the offending post. I appreciate that it would - as Chuck suggests - be to the detriment of the forum if it were deluged with unmoderated "shilling" for ebay auctions.

Indeed, Andy has posted a pointer to his eBay auction [for an Omega FIFA Chronograph] which is exceedingly similar to your original post in style and nature. One could argue it's already starting...

This site, the wealth of information contained within it, and the vibrancy of the forum are among the reasons that my watch collection has veered toward vintage Heuers. I sincerely hope that I haven't offended any of the site users

Just so you know... I personally am not offended at all.... However, at some point Jeff, Steve, Keith and I do have to draw a line, otherwise eventually there will likely be little or no decorum here.

and that I will be welcome to enjoy the site and to post in the future,

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be welcome to continue here as long as you don't go off the tracks as it were when it came to forum rules and general common sense when it comes to your participation. I simply don't foresee any issues along those lines as you seem to be a reasonable fellow...

Marc.

Awesome Messages ! ! ! Posted By: jeff stein Date: 11/8/07 00:30:07 GMT

In Response To: Re: You Must Be Kidding ! ! ! (Marc.)

I got all choked up and teary-eyed reading your beautiful messages,

Oh, Geez!

and couldn't stand to delete a single word that you have written (even the original message).

Gah! [makes motion of putting finger in mouth to induce vomiting]...

There were moments when I even wanted to click over to ebay and bid on your watches!!

[Jeff obviously has more money to spare at this point than Chuck has]

In the end, the "benefit" that you offer is your wit, and nice style of writing, and your support of our little community, so we will let it ride.

And I said it was Jeff's ultimate decision. So this will ride.

However, Since Andy has posted above in a very similar manner, either we have let the floodgates open with this sort of post or we need to revise the wording to more strongly prohibit such posts in the future Jeff.

I have some ideas, but we need to talk about this off-line, as it were.

Good luck with the auctions, and thanks for your participation in our Forums.

Same here, Marc, Andy...

Jeff

Re: Awesome Messages ! ! ! Posted By: sweets Date: 11/8/07 01:26:47 GMT

In Response To: Awesome Messages ! ! ! (jeff stein)

I do not post here very often to be honest I find the great depth of knowledge a little intimidating)

Then I'd recommend reading a lot and ask the questions we haven't answered [or appear to have not answered]... That's the best way to improve the whole lot!

but I feel I have to congratulate you gentlemen on a fine excahnge of fire, followed by a noble truce.

Which happened while I was sleeping soundly!

Bravo. I have enjoyed this post very much. I might add that, being married to a solicitor, I am sure I detect a whiff of legalese lingering like gunsmoke over the field of battle...?

Well, Jeff is a Lawyer... I can't speak for Marc, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved in the legal world himself, certainly he has exhibited an excellent command of the english language in his posts [which probably put us Yanks at a bit of a disadvantage] considering the state of the American educational system in comparision to the British one... I'm not a Lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, and no amount of watching "My Cousin Vinnie" will improve that!
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE