The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Seiko 7016-5011 aka "Monaco" - PRICE REDUCED

I am offering for sale my automatic chronograph Seiko 7016-5011 aka "Monaco" from January 1973 in the classic and sought after black/grey/blue colour version. The 7016 models are becoming increasingly hard to find in original condition without wrong or aftermarket parts. What makes them somehow special and historically important (from a horological point of view) is the great Seiko 7016A movement,

• an automatic pillar wheel chronograph calibre
• with flyback function
• that was introduced just two years after the launch of the first ever automatic chronograph and remained
• world’s thinnest (6,4mm) automatic chrono movement with minute and hour counter until 1987/1988 (depending on source used).
• Moreover, it offers a rare monocounter complication (i.e. minute and hour counter on one common subdial) that was made really popular by no less than Patek Philippe no earlier than in the mid-2000s.

Case: The case (37mm wide without pushers, 40mm lug to lug) could have been polished in the past but I’m not sure about it. Anyway, all edges and bevels are fully intact and there is no relevant dents even though it bears some signs of regular wear. (Please have a look at the corners of the caseback to see how sharp they are – that’s a good indicator of those rectangular cases’ condition.) The brushing on both sides (left and right flank) is a little shinier than with a NOS example but, actually, that can be seen only when comparing it directly with an unworn piece. The brushed finishing on top and caseback is clearly present and all imprints are perfectly legible. Crown and pushers are all original. To sum it up, the case is in honest good condition and definitely not polished down such as other examples that were previously labelled and sold “in great shape” via this platform.

Dial and hands: The dial is in very good condition, all lume dots are intact. There is some patina on the frame of the date window as well as on the hour and minute hand. The orange tip of the central chrono second hand has faded a little bit and is slightly bent (which can easily be fixed by a watchmaker; there’s also NOS replacements second hands available on eBay for a small amount). The entire handset is original to this model – which quite often is not the case with these watches.

Crystal: The mineral crystal (and the thin bezel as that's one entity) was just replaced by an original NOS piece so it’s in 100% perfect condition without any scratches whatsoever.

Movement: I don’t know the service history of the movement. When I put the wound watch down lately in its dial up position it lost 1 minute per day (with the chronograph running) and ran for way over 40h. However, when the chrono was kept activated at previous measuring attempts the movement occasionally (not always!) stopped after a shorter period. Moreover, as the pushers react a little stickily, I do believe that the chronograph mechanism’s flawless function would benefit from a cleaning in the near future. Nevertheless, start, stop, reset, flyback as well as date and day quickset and automatic winding work as they should, the weekday is indicated in English and Italian.

Strap: The watch comes on a new black leather racing strap (exactly fitting the 19mm lug width and tapering to 18mm at the buckle) that actually makes it appear quite dressy with a sporty touch.

The now reduced price for this watch is EUR 400,- + shipping.

Pics (all unedited except for the last one which has been brightened up):

The watch is located in Austria (EU) and so am I. I do have plenty of international references from various watch enthusiasts (also known here), so please feel free to ask for them.

Just for the records: I am a private collector and, therefore, the watch comes without any personal guarantee given by me. However, I am offering to give a full refund less fully insured shipping expenses in case the piece sold would not be as described by me (within an inspection period of three days and to buyers from within the EU only due to the complex customs procedure in case of an overseas deal).

If you are seeking more information on the Seiko 7016A movement you can have a closer look at a review I wrote down recently here: https://uhrforum.de/seiko-7016-50xx-paar-richtig-coole-oftmals-unterschaetzte-vintage-chronographen-t277983 (in German language) or follow the English language links mentioned there at the end. (The watch offered for sale here is not the identical one shown in that review.)

Thanks for reading and thanks to the Chronotrader platform and its host!

Kind regards,
F.Antl

Messages In This Thread

FS: Seiko 7016-5011 aka "Monaco" - PRICE REDUCED
OHPF *NM*
Re: SOLD - Thanks to Chronotrader and buyer! *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE