The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: NOS '40/'50 Lemania chronograp 18kt with cal.2310 movement

Hi all,

To finance a new incoming purchase I am (sadly) selling this NOS mid ’40 / ’50 Lemania chronograph in 18kt gold with the venerable cal.2310 movement and its original leather strap and hangtag.

I bought the watch some months ago from a dealer who had some new old stock watches in the safe, it has been worn by me only once the first day to post it on IG and then put in the bank safe (not exactly my cup of tea, I am a bit more an Heuer guy) even if I assume could have been worn in the past to show them to the clients entering the shop as the original leather strap seems a bit used.

The 18 kt gold case is in very good conditions, has never been polished, with hallmark on left side and inside the caseback, has its original patina (aka oxidation), the plexiglass has some small scratches probably due to roll storage (but I did prefer not to polish it, up to you).

Mechanically the watch is flawless, the cal 2310 movement has never been serviced (my local watchmaker confirmed the movement screws have never seen a screwdriver) but, despite this, it keeps very good time and chronograph starts, stops and resets as it should.

About the case dimensions, here a comparison with one of my chunky Heuer Autavia 11630, you can see the Lemania is not so small as many '50 chronographs are:

Even if I am not expert of Lemania chronographs I assume the watch is all original and will come exactly as I found it, and I am sure is a very rare and special watch (not so easy to find nowadays a NOS gold Lemania chronograph from ’40 / 50).

The movement is the famous cal.2310 with columns wheel and is probably one of the best chronograph movements ever made (it has been made from Piaget in 1942 and used, among all, also from Omega (renamed cal 321) and Patek Philippe (renamed cal CH27)), here a bit of history (taken from watch-wiki.net):

Calibre 2310 was a popular chronograph movement from Lemania.

In the 1940's, Lemania and Omega worked together on a project called "27 CHRO C12" to develop a 27 mm diameter chronograph with a 12-hour register. Lead by Albert Piguet and Jaques Reymond, this project resulted in the 1942 launch of the Lemania 2310, called Calibre 321 by Omega.
Cal. 2310 was a column wheel design with a screwed balance oscillating at 18,000 A/h. It has a distinctive "wishbone" shaped bridge that makes it recognizable to many.
This movement was famously used in the Omega Speedmaster from 1957 through 1965 as well as the Omega Speedmaster Professional from 1965 through 1968, where it gained fame as the "moon watch" movement. It was also used in the Omega DeVille, Omega Seamaster, and watches from Patek Philippe (as Cal. 2872).
The cam switching Lemania 1872 family replaced the 2310 for most applications beginning in 1968.

Calibre 2320
The Lemania 2320 was closely related but included a swan neck regulator, 4 extra jewels (21 total), and other refinements.

Variants
Calibres 2310 and 2320 are used as the ebauche and base design for the many prized chronograph movements from names like Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, and Roger Dubuis. It is widely regarded as one of the finest such movement designs in history.

· Lemania 2310 variants:
o Patek Philippe 2872
o Patek Philippe CH 27-70
o Omega 321

· Lemania 2320 variants:
o Vacheron Constantin 1141, 141, and 141q
o Patek Philippe 27-70q
o Breguet 533.2

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Lemania_2310

And here a complete image gallery:

http://s824.photobucket.com/user/Raticosa/library/Lemania_2310_gold

About the movement bridge, strangely it is not signed, at the beginning I thought it was a bit strange but I asked to a couple of watchmakers (one has a famous blog) and they confirmed that they found other Lemania movements of same period not signed, here the discussion:

“…Anyway, regarding the Lemania, I agree with you (and your local watchmaker) that the movement is correct and I wouldn't be too concerned that the chronograph bridge is unmarked. I've serviced Lemania's from that period with unmarked bridges in the past and many of them just have the jewel count on the bridge.
The main reason that marked bridges are removed from watches are to swap them into other watches to increase their value. I can't imagine another Lemania chronograph from that period that would be more valuable than your 18kt gold example so why would anyone want to "steal" the bridge from it?..”

Requested price is 5000€ or nearest best offer, preferring Bank wire, but PayPal is also good if best for you adding 4,5%.

I hope it will go in a good home.

Please feel free to ask if any question.

Costs for courier service to be discussed with the buyer.

Thanks for the attention and to OTD and Jeff for this space.

Best.

Gianluca

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE