The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

Re: FS: Heuer Autavia 'Andretti' Watch Ref. 3646
In Response To: (Message Deleted by Poster) ()

: Hi, I have a vintage Heuer Autavia 'Andretti' watch (as far as I
: can tell from looking online) that I'm looking to sell. Justin B
: (of TAG1000Diver.com) and Richard Askham (of
: http://thewatchspotblog.com/ ) have both recommended this forum
: for getting advice. Apparently "collectors of early Heuers
: are always looking for them in all original condition." As
: the bezel and glass are so scratched, I wouldn't have thought it
: would have been worth selling without getting it restored but
: there you go.

: I did bring the watch to two local (Dublin) watchmakers already but
: although I got a list from one of them as to what needed to be
: fixed, the list was barely legible. His estimate for the work
: was 700-800 euro and the second watchmaker's estimate was for
: 500-600 euro but again I have no detail on what that would have
: covered. Neither was able to tell me the model of the watch when
: asked.

: So does anyone here know what price might be offered for an
: untouched Heuer Autavia 'Andretti' Watch Ref. 3646 that would be
: for parts (where the bezel and glass are very scratched)? Should
: I send it somewhere for a valuation so buyers know exactly what
: they're buying and if so, has anyone recommendations as to where
: I should send it for this?

: I did contact Abel Court about a restoration job but his waiting
: list is 2 years! Does anyone recommend that I hold out for a
: restoration job and not sell "as is"? The prices seem
: to be very high for these watches, even when restored. Does
: anyone know anywhere that can recondition original bezels so
: they look good again? The black face underneath the glass is in
: very good nick.

: I see that Chronodeco are not currently taking on any new clients
: also.

: Thanks in advance.

Hi, i think your best bet is to ask On The DASH - Heuer forum, part of this website, for input on restoration vs outright sale. You have posted this on the trading forum where people sell watches, seems to me you need help to decide what you want to do, restoration or straight sale.
Please post more pics on the Heuer forum, this will enable people to help you to decide what to do and what is needed. I am anything but an Autavia guru, but seems to me the watch crystal is cracked not scratched, so that is a replacement. A replacement bezel for an Autavia is very expensive and not easy to find, so for a proper full restoration with bezel replacement, new crystal, service, etc you are looking at an amount of money where you might need to add a zero to what you were quoted.
Good luck.

K

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE