The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Longines 13ZN-12. Centre minute counter - very rare. Redux

Hi All,

I am re-listing this watch.

Although I've had two firm commitments to buy, both purchasers withdrew because of funding issues.

Due to their commitment to purchase, I've also committed on another purchase and paid a deposit so I now need to sell the watch urgently to complete my other purchase.

Price is now UK £9500 - a considerable reduction.

The original sales post is below:

I’m reluctantly putting my Longines 13ZN-12 large case (39.25mm) watch on the market.

It’s one of those watches that I’ve owned for a long time and always swore that I would never sell, but the lure of another ‘grail’ has forced my hand.

For those of you who know little about the 13ZN-12 here’s a brief resume:

The 13ZN movement is generally regarded as one of the very top Chronograph movements ever made.
The standard 13ZN movement is a 2 register fly-back chronograph with a centre second sweep chrono counter, an elapsed minute register at 3 o’clock and permanent running seconds at 9 o’clock.

The 13ZN-12 is the super rare in-house Longines complication which adds an elapsed hour counter by substantially modifying the movement.
So the 13ZN-12 has – centre sweep chrono seconds hand with a further centre sweep elapsed minute hand, this together with elapsed hour register at 3 o’clock completed by a permanent running seconds register at 9 o’clock.

Unfortunately, when I bought the watch many years ago, the dial had already been refinished with what appeared to be the delicacy and accuracy of a visually challenged painter and decorator !!
Subsequently, I had the dial refinished in Italy by a bespoke dial re-finisher.
I’ve included a picture of the dial as I received it - hopefully you will agree, that under the circumstances, a refinish was the right thing to do.
It should also be mentioned that the centre second, minute hand and subdial hands may not be 'correct'.
Because of the rarity of this model there are few examples to base judgements on and opinion is divided. However, I guess we're in the area of doubt attributed to age and use of components available at the time.

Suffice it to say, that I bought the watch having fallen in love with the 'art' of the movement and it's rarity, it really has a very 'special' feel to it.

This watch is the very rare ‘large case’ square pusher version.
Estimates vary but it's generally accepted that the number of surviving large case 13ZN-12 may be numbered at the most in the very low hundreds with only a handful being all original.

In all respects this is in excellent condition for its age (circa 1950 ‘s). It runs extremely well, keeping very good time with a decent power reserve. It winds and sets smoothly and all chrono functions work correctly with the sub counters and hands all re-setting to zero.

The watch will be mounted on a vintage 'cracked' leather strap with a relatively modern Longines tang buckle.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so please check them out below.

Moving on to price .

There are so few of these that come onto the market, it is difficult to gauge where to position it.
I’m aware that all 'original' un-refinished examples can command astronomical prices (up to $100k) and that under general circumstances a re-done dial etc. would have a substantial impact on value.
In the instance of these particular watches, I understand that the rarity of the movement reduces the re-finished dial ‘differential’ somewhat.

Although it is difficult to set a 'benchmark', I'd like to see UK £12k or near offer NOW UK £9500 for this extremely rare watch, this to include shipping.
Whilst I prefer a straight sale, I would consider part trade of Rolex, Tudor, Omega sports & tool watches.

I have no doubt that this is a watch that can only increase in value and represents an excellent investment whilst being a beautiful watch to wear and a marvel of the art of watchmaking. I think that it represents great value compared to a 100% original and correct example, being a fraction of the cost.

Please contact me directly on muffinthemule56@aol.com for further info etc.

Thanks for looking.

Messages In This Thread

FS: Longines 13ZN-12. Centre minute counter - very rare. Redux
Re: FS: Longines 13ZN-12. Centre minute counter - very rare.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE