The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: FS HEUER CARRERA 110.573 MILITARY FAPLA *PIC*

I'm having to sell some of my collection to pay for a recent move of business premises. Fifth up is a Heuer Carrera 110.573. This Carrera is a nice untouched example. It's fitted with it's original stainless Heuer bracelet and signed Heuer deployment, there is a small dent on the deployment. The case has it's original untouched finish and has not been polished or refinished in any way. The crown and pushers and crystal are also original. Movement and back are all signed as you would expect. The hands and dial are in good condition, but close inspection (ie with a magnifier) reveals that there is pock marking on the dial, this is just visible in the photo. The Carrera was last serviced 2002. All chronograph functions work correctly, as does the automatic wind. Timekeeping is OK with the watch loosing about 25 seconds per day. Obviously as it's last service was 6 years ago a service is due and this is something I'm happy to arrange. The back is engraved with "REPUBLICA POPULAR DE ANGOLA - FAPLA", with a variation of the Angolan Republic's seal. The watch was previously engraved with something else but this has been obliterated.

FAPLA is the acronym of Forças Armadas Populares de Libertação de Angola (People's Armed Forces for the Liberation of Angola). It was originally the armed wing of the Angolan MPLA but after the coup d'etat of 1974, which overthrew the Portugese regime, it was transformed into the countries' standing army. The ensuing civil war, which started in 1975 and dragged on for 30 years, was very much a product of the cold war and pitted the Cuban backed FAPLA against the South African backed UNITA. inevitably this progressed into more direct US and USSR intervention. A brief search on the web will provide you with plenty of information on the conflict.

I assume that the Communist backed FAPLA didn't immediately spend their budget on nice watches which may explain the obliterated engraving on the back.

I invite you to make an offer for the watch. I am happy to answer any questions about the watch/delivery/payment etc. & viewing can be arranged in central London. However I will not answer questions on who's offered what money for it as I have no intention of turning this into an auction. Please offer what you're willing to pay and let me know if you would prefer it serviced or as is.

Please email all questions and offers to: bamackie@mac.com

The photos you see are small jpegs of the watch, to see every detail please use the following links, the files are very large tif files that will allow you to carefully inspect every detail.

www.bamackie2.plus.com/carrerafapla-big.tif

www.bamackie2.plus.com/carreraback-big.tif

you may wish to download these via ftp, though you should be able to download and view them in your web browser.

Messages In This Thread

FS: FS HEUER CARRERA 110.573 MILITARY FAPLA *PIC*
Photo of reverse *PIC*
Re: Photo of reverse *PIC*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE