The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

Counterfeit Watchers Discussion Forum

A forum for identifying and avoiding wholly or partially non-authentic wristwatches -- including counterfeit, replica, Frankenwatches and other fake or bastardized pieces. Our objective here is to DISCOURAGE the sales and purchase of counterfeit wristwatch and jewelry products. It is also for helping people identify watches that are mostly authentic, but have been: altered for personal customization, repaired with inappropriate parts or modified to be passed off as more valuable pieces.

Including a photo of the piece you are talking about ALWAYS helps! You can learn how to post a photo here: How To Include Photos In Your Postings. 'For sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Links to Internet auctions are acceptable only if their purpose is to question the authenticity of a product or provide new clues for identifying counterfeit products. Links that appear to be 'shills' promoting the sale of counterfeit products will be deleted. Links to websites of sellers of counterfeit items are not permitted -- we know they are out there and do not need to be encouraging them by sending traffic to their sites. Privacy, additional policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

Re: Counterfeit using original Omega parts? *LINK*

Gary -

Here are a few thoughts from someone who owns a watch with (what I think to be) a refinished dial.

First, a non-OEM style should and generally does negatively affect the value. Second, I don't think Omega kept records of things like dial colors and styles. In some cases, they Omega exported only the movements, which were then cased locally.

Crowns and straps are "wear" items. If a watch is vintage, and was reasonable used during its life, then it is to be expected that they would wear out and need refurbishing and/or replacement. Most would concede that replacement of these items do not disqualify a watch as original. Collectors seem to be split on dials as wear items.

In my case, I purchased a 1950's Constellation, which was purported to be a recased movement and priced accordingly well below market. Research on the Omega web site showed me that based on the serial number, it was likely (but not definite) that the dial, case and movement were contemporary to each other, but the crown was replaced (which I fixed). Furthermore, no one could confirm if the gold dial was original, an OEM replacement or a redial.

It had an attractive look, so I purchased it and wear it often. A purist would likely not purchase this watch at any price, since it can't be verified as original. Some might go as far to call it a "frankenwatch". But it is as accurate as most modern mechanical watches.

Bottom line is that beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder.

Hope this helps,

gatorcpa

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE