The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

Counterfeit Watchers Discussion Forum

A forum for identifying and avoiding wholly or partially non-authentic wristwatches -- including counterfeit, replica, Frankenwatches and other fake or bastardized pieces. Our objective here is to DISCOURAGE the sales and purchase of counterfeit wristwatch and jewelry products. It is also for helping people identify watches that are mostly authentic, but have been: altered for personal customization, repaired with inappropriate parts or modified to be passed off as more valuable pieces.

Including a photo of the piece you are talking about ALWAYS helps! You can learn how to post a photo here: How To Include Photos In Your Postings. 'For sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Links to Internet auctions are acceptable only if their purpose is to question the authenticity of a product or provide new clues for identifying counterfeit products. Links that appear to be 'shills' promoting the sale of counterfeit products will be deleted. Links to websites of sellers of counterfeit items are not permitted -- we know they are out there and do not need to be encouraging them by sending traffic to their sites. Privacy, additional policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

Re: "eberle" watches
In Response To: Re: "eberle" watches ()

There’s a lot there! It is really a subject for a lengthy thesis, as there are so many aspects. I must set aside your implication that there is something bad in profit – the Chinese businessman is as shrewd as any other.

I also have an interest in computers, and I know that LCD monitors are produced by a very limited number of manufacturers, mainly in the Far East. If I want a monitor, I can buy a Sony or, say, a “Wuggly” and they are the same thing. I buy the “Wuggly” for 30% of the price. I am buying function over form. There is no legend, there is no cache, there is no snobbery about monitors (well, not in my life.) The market for watches is different.

I note from the “europastar” site you quote, that the Swatch man is careful to say that Chinese movements are for the Chinese Market only. Now why would he say that?

I don’t think there is a sensible person in the world is going to tell you that a machine for producing balance wheels will not run as well in China as it does in Switzerland and that the quality of Chinese movements can be equal to, if not the very best Swiss, then at least the majority. It is consumer confidence.

I compare the present times with the 19th Century: up to that time, Britain had been the only producer of quality Pocket Watches in the world. The Dutch and the French produced cheap movements with exotic faces and cases in the 18th century (and fakes) but, by-and-large, they were rubbish. By ~1850, the Swiss had started producing at first poor quality, and later, a mixture of poor and very good quality movements. The USA then started with their movements but loyalty and status stuck with the British Pocket watch – it was the thing to have. By ~1920 Swiss manufacturers were overtaking the British in all product sales world wide, tariffs were set against them but the desire to have them simply grew and by ~1960 the British, US, French and Dutch Watch industries were all but dead.

I estimate that we are presently at ~1925 with Chinese movements. It will be a while before they are accepted, particularly in view of the damage that the knock-off market has done.

So, people buy watches for 2 reasons (i) to know the time (ii) to be a stakeholder with a great House and have the reflected kudos.

There are two watches
(i) a Genuine Patek Philippe at £180,000
(ii) a Guangdon Watch Industries “Mariner” which is better made, and more intricate and accurate than the Patek Philippe at $150,000?
You have more money than you know what to do with – which do you buy? I’d go for the Patek Philippe. (If you just want to know the time, don’t buy either.)

We have seen it with all consumer goods in the invasion of the Japanese; Electronics, Opticals, IT, Cars, Motorbikes, at first they were disparaged, now, most are sought after - but still people would rather have an Aston Martin than a Lexus. The top end is secure; the rich are always with us.

If you buy a Chinese made automatic watch, you are going to have to explain to everyone, “It’s really a good watch, honest! It’s better than an Omega!” Raised eyebrows will follow even though it might be true.

No, there’s no logic, we are human and manufacturers know this and play to willing victims - I'm really happy with my Omegas but not one of them is as accurate as something I could get at a local dime and dollar store for $5. With a cheap watch you have an machine, with a brand watch you have a pet!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE