The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I half agree...

Sure, I half agree. We're only human after all. Any associating with a racing driver is welcomed with open arms.
I learned that I have a Stefan Bellof (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Bellof), as he wore a specific Montreal. I'd happily call it that too, but then that's when the problems occur. If everyone starts calling them 'Belloffs', it becomes the norm, then people start calling any Montreal a Bellof & people like me 'complain'.

The issue with the 'Derek Bell' is made more muddier because that particular watch is sought after (not because of the Bell connection), therefore more valuable.
Herein lies the rub. If someone calls a Viceroy a Bell, they believe that it is worth more money. They may not be aware of the real reason it's worth more to collectors. I think that model has to be distinguished from the later Viceroy, therefore a name would have been applied to it eventually. If there were no racing driver connected to it, it may have been dubbed something else - like the 12-3-6-9 Viceroy. But that has it's problems due to the ridged hour markers or non-ridged.

Any name would or could be 'hijacked' if there was monetary gain.

Stewart

: Members of our community began using the "Derek Bell"
: designation, without any "hard evidence" of exactly
: which model he wore. The average seller, who may be a dealer who
: handles multiple brands, would need to know a lot and take some
: time to distinguish between the various versions of the
: "Bell" and the "Viceroy", in terms of style
: of the markers, the finish of the hands, the numerals on the
: hour recorder, etc.

: I expect that many people selling the black-dialed Reference 1163
: Autavias will use the "Bell" designation. With so much
: confusion about Bells, Sifferts, Viceroys and McQueens, even
: within the community of "experts", I really can't
: blame them.

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE