The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Gorgeous watches
In Response To: Gorgeous watches ()

: It's always a pleasure to find someone else who shares an interest
: in American high grade pocket watches as well --I like your
: suggestions on classic models although I think my personal
: favorite Hamilton RR grade was the 950E --the bridgework was
: just so elegant. I passed on one that had been re-cased in gold
: by the original owner when he retired, back when I first started
: getting interested in watches, for $350 and have regretted it
: ever since (for one thing they've gotten much, much more
: expensive.)

Jack, I like the 950E also but the B...as a watch is a much better (more refined) piece of machinery. Hamilton is an amazing company to follow because they employed a historian and their records are incredibly well kept. The 16s Hamilton is a great watch to collect because you can really get an understanding of the manufacturing and engineering process from the first to the last. I own the 15th 16s Hamilton ever produced (the grade 963 pictured below) and it is almost like new. I like it better than a 950B...but it is a crude watch in comparison.

: I still think, though, that if you are interested in horology for
: its own sake, American pocket watches are very, very hard to
: beat; the last one I bought, a few months ago, was a 21 jewel
: Waltham Riverside for which I paid the sum of $225 dollars. This
: for an absolutely clean watch in all original condition too.

And you said there were no deals to be had these days.

I really did love your article and it is good to know that there are more watch nerds out there who like a broad range of product like I do. I hope we meet up at a show sometime. I will buy the drinks.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE