The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carreras -- Fair market value help?

Hello, I have been looking at OTD for years, but have never posted before. Please forgive any errors!

I am hoping for some guidance from you forum members. I was very active in the Sports Car racing scene, starting in the mid-1960s. I established an account with Heuer – NY, where I could buy watches direct. During this time, I acquired a number of various Heuer products, from Carreras to Chronosplits, and including some dash mount units, & hand- held timers.

I have now decided to start the process of moving these pieces on to other collector's hands. I am thinking of starting with the 2 Carreras that I have. I am hoping that some of you forum members will be willing to give me some range of current "fair market value" for these. I have seen the value table in OTD, but it looks to me, from the limited sales info I've found, that these may now be a bit on the low side (?)

My Carreras are as follows:

#1 – Carrera Dato, Ref. 3147. Blk/Blk dial. It is all as original, with the Landeron 189 movement. I believe that I bought this watch in maybe 1968 or '69, and it was worn maybe 3-4 years before being replaced by the Carrera 2447N. It currently runs well, stop functions work correctly, but I intend to have them both checked over & serviced before being offered for sale. One of my friends is a Swiss trained Master Watchmaker & his business is primarily the restoration of vintage & antique timepieces. The bad news is that his backlog may be around 2 years!

#2 – Carrera 12 Ref. 2447N. Blk/Blk dial, with Valjoux 72 movement. It is a "60's style" screw back case, with 2nd execution dial & hands. It is in near mint condition, with original box and tag. This watch was worn for only a few months before being replaced by the first of the Chronosplits. It is running correctly and the stop functions work correctly. It has the original SS bracelet (beads of rice) marked 2/69. Again, before I would let it go, I will have my friend service it.

So, with this limited information, I'm hoping that some of you might offer a range of "fair market value" for each of these. It will be a while before they are ready to go on the market, but I'd like to have a better idea of current value. Thanks Much! And sorry for the long post!!

Dick Krueger
Seattle area

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE