The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some explanation...

Dear Jeff,

First of all...my humble apologies for the amateuristic way of capturing my actions (also first time ever I used youtube as well). I could also have talked a little bit and give an explanation while I was doing the tests...but I'm a rather shy guy ;-)

So, what we see in both videos are actually a 1133b Monaco and a 1163V Autavia being tested if they are waterproof or not. Most of you guys already know I can do some things with movements and cases...a part of that is also servicing crown and pushers, meaning a gentle polish and installing fresh sealings (as most of the times the original gaskets have become fluid or have become brittle...), a serious risk for water damage and certainly dust and dirt. Now with this device, the Greiner-Vibrograf Poseidon LT-100, watches can be tested without the use of water, so without the risk of damaging anything. The method used in this device is quite simple, but very very accurate. Watch is first tested in vacuum and then under pressure...

Ofcourse...when a watch would not pass a test...one will still need to use the method which involves water, in order to locate the actual leak.

Here will follow a short explanation of the steps involved during each test;

General: The deformation of the watch is measured continuously during a
tightness test through the high precision mechanics, the high
resolution state-of-the-art electronics and the intelligent software.
This is done with an accuracy of less than 0.0001 μm.

Tightness test under vacuum: A vacuum is established in the chamber up to -0.7 bar. This means that the pressure in the sealed watch is greater than the ambient pressure. The watch expands outwards. This expansion
(deformation) is measured continuously through the precise
displacement sensor in the measuring head. The program, which is
very extensive and is based on years of experience, will now decide
independently;
a) whether or not the watch was deformed sufficiently during the buildup
of the vacuum.
b) the time after which the measurement can be ended
(only if the measurement time is programmed on automatic).
c) whether the watch can be classified as tight or not tight.
d) that the vacuum is checked continuously during the measurement
operation.

Tightness Test Under Pressure: Pressure can be established in the chamber up to + 10 bar. This means that the pressure in the sealed watch is less than the ambient pressure. The watch is pressed together. This deformation is
now measured continuously through the precise displacement sensor
in the measuring head. The program, which is very extensive and is
based on years of experience, will now decide independently
a) whether or not the watch was deformed sufficiently during the
build up of the pressure.
b) the time after which the measurement can be ended
(only if the measurement time is programmed on automatic).
c) whether or not the watch can be classified as tight or not tight.
d) That the chamber pressure is checked continuously during the
measurement operation.

I was/am very pleased with the results which are visible in both videos...the 1163 Autavia passed the 10BAR Waterproof test flawlessly and the NOS 1133b McQueen Monaco did thesame with the 5BAR Waterproof test. It does not mean I would approve anybody to go swimming with them...at least I would never do...but ofcourse it is very comfortable to know. Then again...such a test is only a capture of a moment...

I hope this was not too boring and was understandable...

Thanks,
abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE