The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Sourcing a replacement second hand for an 844/2

Hi James
Firstly, welcome to the club with what is an unusual watch. We see quite a few first execution 844 Divers aka the Heuer Monnin Diver and over the years plenty of the more common 844/3 automatic in the 42mm case. But the 844/2 is less prevalent and must have been a transitional piece between the 844 (Monnin) and the 844/3. I had one of these 844/2's and there was no difference between that and the 844/3. Yours has the cathedral hands and one can only surmise that these could be correct. I do agree that the second hand looks odd especial the round rip at the end of the tale. In all the examples I have owned the lume filled circle on the second hand has been small in diameter to the luminous hour markets on the dial. Yours looks bigger that the hour markers. So two points which confirm your assessment that its incorrect.
As far as a replacement goes maybe James H can comment on a possible source for a replacement or if the quartz example would fit.
You will also see from the pictures below that your crown is a replacement. A suitable replacement is available and once again James is your man for that one too.
Regards
Paul
www.heuerworld.com

photo 54Diver844Monninno2.jpg

844/2
 photo 33Diver844-2.jpg

844/3
 photo 21HeuerDiver844-3ver2_zpsb4bab415.jpg

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE