The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Fascinating / One Question > > > >

Jeff - Glad you asked. I need to clarify this statement:

"Manual winding - 3 to 4 twist on the crown (depending on the person
winding = around 360 degrees on the mainspring barrel arbor) is
equal to:
Auto winding - 180 or so full revolutions on the micro rotor."

This is obviously not a very accurate measurement as it would vary a lot from person to person. So instead of using "twists" I will from now on use one full 360 degree revolution on the crown as a bases. One full revolution on the crown is equal to about 120 to 130 degrees on the mainspring arbor or more accurately (I just checked), 3.2 full revolutions on the winding crown is equal to 360 degrees on the mainspring arbor. So it would be better to use 3.2 full revolutions (3.2 would be a little tricky but it does not have to be exact) on the crown as a basis to see how long the movement will run from completely run down. This should still run the movement for 6 to 8 hours (from completely wound down) without the second hand engaged.
I will start this manual test this morning on a movement that I serviced a couple of days ago and report back. After that, I will put it on the auto winder for 180 revolutions to see if I get the same results. I do not necessarily recommend auto winders for this movement, I just got one to set up a standard test just for this movement.
I expect to see a lot of variation in this test depending on the condition of the movement and prior service. Craig

: Craig:

: Fascinating little posting . . . some great nuggets here!! We
: always here about power reserve, but your focus on efficiency is
: interesting.

: One question: You say "manual winding - 3 to 4 twists on the
: crown" . . . Isn't there a huge difference, statistically,
: between 3 turns and 4 turns? Might be interesting to do a survey
: among our readers: Take your favorite watch, which is entirely
: wound down. Turn the crown exactly four turns. How long will
: it run? Can't wait to get home and start the testing!!

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE