The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Autavia 73663 / Does It Look Like This One?

Being that it is what is in the picture and according to the price guide this watch is somewhere between $3000 and $5000 USD?
Here's the story, back in June or July, my wife and I were Saturday morning saleing, garage sales that is.
I saw this watch and thought, it looks kinda cool, how much?
Funny thing is, I don't wear watches or much any adornment other than the mandatory bull ring (wedding band), time is kind of inconsequential to me, seems I never have enough.
So, I bought it presuming that it was likely a knock-off and not worth much more than I paid for it and if I decided that I wanted to wear a watch it would be OK.
I have about four other watches, none of them anything like this, and I still don't wear them.
My wife was going to her favorite jeweller on Tuesday morning (likely to get her wedding band melted down) and said that she would take the watch and see what the story was.
She asked the jeweller if it was real, without hesitation he replied "Oh yeah", so she asked if he thought it was worth $100 or $200 or so, "No", $300 or $400, "No".
He said at least $800, she called and told me the good news, after the shock wore off I became curious about finding out exactly what it was and what it was worth, that's how I ended up here.
To me, not really having any depth of knowledge about watches other than what a Rolex sells for could buy a small car, some of them even an imported luxury sedan from places like Germany.
So I sit here almost ecstatic in my new found knowledge!
All for a watch that I paid 2 dollars for!
How can you help but wonder why the seller didn't do at least a little research into what they had?
I suppose there's a lesson in there somewhere, probably one that should be learned in our school years, do your homework!
I don't know what direction I will go with this watch, I have no real reason to sell it other than simply for the money but that's not good enough for me, as the Beatles said "Money can't buy you love".
Realistically, as I said, the watch is cool, somewhat unique, and the story is good, so with me it will stay, at least for now.
I guess now though, I will maybe not just leave it laying around!

My next question, it has a replacement Spiedel band, kinda ugly, would the preference for a correct band be metal or leather?
Anyone have one to sell?

Bryan

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE