The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
To Re-lume or not to Re-lume??

Besides the everlasting discussion to refurbish a case or not...there's another topic which is very similar and certainly as crucial. The watch his face...the dial. Reluming or not??

While originality is most important...sometimes it can be useful to be open for some consideration. I have a clear point of view personally...but that actually does not matter and can differ from watch to watch...it's each one for its own to take decisions and ventilate thoughts...

I took a chance with a spare 1st.Execution 2446 dial of mine...not the most common dial around and quite valuable indeed...I bought it in quite "tropical" conditions. No damages or scratches worth mentioning but a very strong tobacco color on the white subdials...

First thing I realized was the original radium would be lost...I could live with that...then secondly and a bit more crucial...it's always impossible to know what will happen with all the text printed on the dial while cleaning...it can be damaged easily and of course the value of the dial is dust in the wind.

I never doubt while working on such a delicate thing...never doubt while working...it can go wrong and it can go right...but when you doubt...you're already loosing. I am quite satisfied with the final result, not perfect yet but getting closer and closer as years pass by!

Some pictures attached;

Step 1: Original dial (please note I already started to clean hour subregister before I realized I did not take a picture yet...);

Step 2: Dial cleaned;

Step 3: During relume;

Step 4: Final result;

Hope you like,
abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE