The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: To Re-lume or not to Re-lume??
In Response To: To Re-lume or not to Re-lume?? ()

: Besides the everlasting discussion to refurbish a case or
: not...there's another topic which is very similar and certainly
: as crucial. The watch his face...the dial. Reluming or not??

: While originality is most important...sometimes it can be useful to
: be open for some consideration.....

Abel,

First just let me say that I always love your pictures.

I am always the first person in these discussions who says "leave the watch alone". However, even I have some exceptions and some criteria. The first criteria is to make sure that an able person is doing the work and Abel is certainly more able than anyone I know so if Abel is doing the work this criteria is met. Second would be the starting condition and stability of the watch part. If a dial starts out in the condition of yours I think it is worth taking a chance. As far as old lume on hands or a dial is concerned many times the deterioration of lume can sort of be a cancer which leads to instability and or accelerated deterioration of the dial or hands.

I agree that any judgment on reconditioning a case or a dial or hands should be done on a case by case basis. In this case I would pay a lot more for the re-done dial than the original dial so....Well done.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE