The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Interesting to Me -- Manner of Detecting the Fakes

We all know the struggles of knowing with certainty, and convincing others, that a watch is fake. But at least with the watches, there are some physical features that may prove helpful to the person investigating.

Interesting in the wine world that experts can detect fake labels or bottles or corks, but I assume that if you have to open the bottle and taste the wine, the discussion becomes much more complicated. Who can confirm that the taste is wrong? I assume that this is easy for the experts, but difficult to produce physical proof -- photos, measurements, etc. And what is the financial result of opening the bottle, if it proves to be genuine?

Dealing with the fakes can be a messy process, whether it's the watches or the wines.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Interesting conclusion.

: I would have said that good for this fellow that he is willing to
: put some effort and resources to fight the good fight, even
: though the financial loss probably doesn't have any practical
: impact on him. We are all frustrated by fakes and it's galling
: to be swindled, no matter how wealthy. If he's right, more power
: to him and confusion to the forgers.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE