The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Seller probably poisoned his own well

I've personally never understood people that list buy it now - I think it caps peoples expectation for the final pricing - especially if it hangs out for a few days un-bought - buyers start to believe they have the leverage.

Then throw in that the seller jacked the price up - I think that just annoys people and turns them off.

If you want to get the best price - just let it rip in a full auction no reserve to the largest geographical audience - that way everyone watches it since they believe it WILL trade (oooh and maybe they will get a bargain) - and towards the end the people who have been watching it with the desire to buy it for the last 7 days, start to get emotionally pregnant - that's when you get peoples competitive juices flowing.

Of course their is a risk that you don't get the price you 'expected' - that may be because your expectations were to high, or because you listed poorly, and occasionally because the right players were not in the seat, or the piece was out of fashion at the time.

Many of those risks are of course within your control:
the quality of pictures you take,
the description you give,
your reputation as a seller,
Don't list a watch that is clearly not trading well at the moment (ie Silverstone Fume)
your expectations should be a function of how close you follow the pricing

- and if you "Buy" well - you typically don't have to fret the sale price.

At the end of the day though you need to have some balls to get the best price.

If you still want to be a panzy - a slightly less destructive way to list is for an auction with a starting price that is a small discount to where you think it should trade, you may at the end of the day be a bit disappointed but not by a lot because you set the floor, and if someone bids on the piece before the last second - then all the positive dynamics of a full auction may still be in play.

That's my take on trading illiquid assets.

Best,
Lanny

I know you are fond of the seller and maybe your plug helps someone who was on the fence pull the trigger. I think it looks reasonably priced as well.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE