The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My response to Melissa's Vid

Jeff,

I sent Melissa (the listing party) an email this morning stating that I had no interest in the watch and that it could not be automatic. She sent me back a message with the video. The following was my response to her.

Dear melissarader1,

Melissa,

Thanks for the link...but I am sorry. I have been collecting and selling and repairing watches for almost 40 years. Your video proves only that the watch is in decent shape and that when you shake it the balance begins to turn because there is a little bit of wind left on the spring. If you were to truly un-wind the spring all of the way which can only be done by opening the back, the balance would still spin but the second hand would not go.

If this were truly an automatic watch you would be able to put it in your winder and after a few hours it would run for at least 24 hours. This is not going to happen because putting a manual wind watch in a winder will have no effect. This is a manual wind watch. If it is not the value of the watch is almost nothing because it means that someone has taken the original movement out of the watch and fitted a newer automatic movement. This would destroy the value of the watch. This model of watch never ever ever had an automatic movement from the factory...never ever.

I wish you could be right but you can't be. You can write to Heuer and they will tell you that they never made this watch with an auto movement.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE