The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: I have to disagree a bit....
In Response To: I have to disagree a bit.... ()

I think you make some valid points Eddie - and i think a BIN is not a bad route to take for a more commoditized piece (Viceroy, 11630MH etc…) there is an easy way for both buyers and sellers to assess what each thinks the right market price is based on recent past sales.

I think however for a Siffert or any watch that is rare or where recent comps are not readily available i think the right way to go is with a no reserve auction, we often have no idea just how many people might be out there seeking a hard to find piece, so to list a bin on such a piece is to really cap the price move to the upside.

On the recent rash of record prices for sifferts, orange boys, screwbacks and exotics - there hadn't been any offered for quite some time, so many buyers were just waiting in the wings, when they came to auction with no BIN the prices hit expectations i don't think anyone expected. That's the upside that would have been lost out if the buyer had just listed with a BIN based on prices from 3-4 months ago.

As for BIN purchases - I, like you also love them and i think that pretty much tells the story.

You are right - there are times when selling with a BIN is not bad. I think other times one has to think carefully about what they are selling.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE