The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Bezel's
In Response To: Bezel's ()

Hi Kendall,

thanks for starting this thread, and wish you good luck with the bezel reproduction.

i'm a rookie Heuer collector, so my opinion is maybe not the most important, but hope it helps to you a little.

Collecting Heuer (or any other brand) means for me i would like to own a 100% original piece, with history. If you pay strong money for a watch, it's normal you want to get a genue one. If you get a mint/NOS example it's great but also a kind of disadvantage: you are afraid of wearing it, it's rather a safe or winder queen, instead of a wearable daily tool. Of course you use it on special occasions but very few wrist time IMHO. If you scratch the case, it can be repaired thanks to laser restoring but once the bezel is scratched, it's a big problem.

So if you want to use your Heuer(s) day-by.day you have the following options:

A, you find a good example with a few scratches and you don't have to worry about another one (as a friend of mine used to say: only the first scratch hurts you, the second is much easier to take)
B, you wear your NOS watch and get a bit paranoid about dings, scratches, etc

Since i prefer mint/NOS look over good/average condition it would be an option to buy aftermarket bezel insert for my daily watches for 2 reasons:

1, if the original bezel is mint/NOS you can save it from damages and you can still wear it daily
2, if your watch is good/average you can pimp it up with a nice bezel for cheap

Overall: if factory quality bezel inserts (size, color, print, etc) were avaible, i would buy them. But only for prevention and/or visual reasons.

Hope my english was good enough to explain my thoughts.

(and a question: do you plan to reproduce "only" the simple T and MH inserts or also some more tricky ones like the 11630 GMT insert with mirror surface?)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE