The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Recommended eBay Watches -- Interesting Idea
In Response To: recommended ebay watches ()

Shaun:

I visit the Omega Forums from time to time -- mainly for the Zenith and Universal Geneve boards -- and have noticed this sticky thread, of recommended watches. I have also pondered the question of whether such a thread might be useful here.

As is so often the case, there are (at least) two schools of thought about discussing live auctions. One (extreme) position is that we should never discuss a live auction or even one that has just ended. Live auctions, with time remaining, present the opportunity for a range of abuses. Will some of our members trash a watch, hoping to buy it cheap? Will we discuss a watch that sold for a very low price, hoping that the seller may see the thread and think twice about selling to the eBay winner at the crazy low price? Yes, there are definitely opportunities for bad behavior in discussing live auctions.

The other (extreme) view suggests that the free flow of information is always better, and that it is fair game to discuss any watch, any time. Yes, newbies will benefit from this flow of information, and we will just rely on community norms and good behavior to keep the shenanigans to a minimum.

Thanks for this suggestion. Let's continue to explore and ponder these possibilities as we consider whether a thread or multiple threads on live auctions might be useful. I don't have a view at the moment, but would like to hear what others are thinking.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I spend some time over on OF, where they have a recommended watches
: on ebay as a sticky thread. I am not sure if a similar thread
: would work here, but when something good on the bay pops out
: someone will post and others may crituque any issues with the
: piece. In some cases it will drive up the price, but it does
: give the noobs an opportunity to buy watches that are correct or
: at least make an informed decision.
: Just an idea
: Shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE