The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Beautiful John! I remember the Waltham factory
In Response To: OK, if you insist... ()

So many years ago, when I was a kid, once every year or so my Dad took me to his office for the (sometimes) annual "bring your child to work day" at the Watertown Arsenal in Watertown, Massachusetts, one town over from Waltham. We always passed by the then closed and dormant Waltham factory situated alongside the Charles River and Dad always reminded me it was once a great American producer of watches. I was fascinated by the large old factory and couldn't understand why it was no longer in business! Your new acquisition is beautiful! Just look at that highly decorated movement! Wow! Thanks for helping bring back a wonderful childhood memory with your post!
Steve

: There are rarer American watches but this is the holy grail of
: watches which were actually produced for general sale. Most
: collectors consider this the best time only pocket watch ever
: made anywhere. Legend has it that the president of Vacheron
: Constantin was given one of these watches when he visited the
: Waltham factory and when he showed it to his head watchmaker he
: was told that it was better than anything Vacheron could
: produce. It is an American grade, 1872 model, 21 jewel Waltham.
: It has no signs of every having been cleaned. It's soft gold
: case barely shows any signs of having been opened. It came in
: its original chamois bag with the name of the jeweler who sold
: it. It was born around 130+ years ago.

:

:

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE