The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
As one of the team at VRF/VRM I have to say...
In Response To: Re: Another point ()

...it is quite a culture shock to see the "offers accepted", "offers over $x will be considered" and the "informal auction" formats utilized in sales posts here. That said, I understand that each forum has its own customs and culture and so of course I accept it as an integral feature of ChronoTrader.

What I don't feel is beneficial is when items are listed with no price range whatsoever. At least with "offers over $x" I know the ballpark. With the "offers accepted" or "informal auction" I am expected to do all the price-related research myself, which if I am not such a Heuer fanatic (or take a month off in the current frenzied climate), can be difficult to keep track of going rates. Even more so when the watches are non-Heuers! How am I supposed to know the seller's acceptable range for a random Bulova, Seiko or Benrus dive watch, for example??? LOL. In the end, I'll usually just email the sellers and ask them what range they are in fact looking for. ;)

So while I still don't particularly care for these "no set price" ads and would probably not employ that format as a seller myself (insert Never say never and When in Rome caveats here), I do understand that it is the custom round these parts. And it certainly has been very successful in ginning up considerable, shall we say, enthusiasm for Vintage Heuers by creating an atmosphere of heated competition among buyers that is more explicit than on most other sales corners. :)
Best,
T.

: I wish to make is that some forum sales boards only permit items
: with a stated price. I believe TZUK and VRF are such places.
: More often than not we see listings on Chronotrader where the
: seller states Best Offer (with no guide price). I cannot see
: much difference in that well used approach to this one. In fact
: this seller has committed to the sale however in my other
: example, the seller has no obligation to accept any offer. So if
: the seller of this Autavia is honourable I see no reason why
: this method cannot succeed. Furthermore, the seller can state
: "offer above" which is the case here and this protects
: his sale just like a reserve would in a traditional auction. In
: summary: time frame, regular updates and reserve/minimum are
: must then the market can determine the final price.
: regards
: Paul
: www.heuerworld.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE