The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Posting: Questions to Ask, When Buying a Vintage Watch

Here's a quick blog posting, The Dirty Dozen – 12 Questions to Ask When You are Buying a Vintage Watch. I have also copied the entire posting below.

We don't want people to be afraid of buying vintage watches, do we?

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With this morning’s news that celebrity watch collector John Mayer is suing celebrity watch dealer Bob Maron, for $656,000 in a dispute regarding the authenticity of some vintage Rolex watches, there came the reaction, “That’s why I don’t buy vintage watches." While I will not claim that I could have brought peace and understanding between Mr. Mayer and Mr. Maron, I offer the following 12 areas of inquiry to assist the average purchaser in evaluating a vintage watch that she is considering.

Questions

While these questions will need to be adapted to the particular watch being considered (for example, you will ask different questions about a 1980s quartz chronograph than about a 1940s triple calendar watch), they should cover most of the bases for most vintage watches. Because these questions are designed for vintage watches, we do not address matters that may be relevant for a modern watch (for example, about the manufacturer's warranty or whether the watch came through an authorized dealer).
  1. Time-Keeping. Is the watch running well / keeping good time? How much time is the watch gaining or losing over a 24-hour period? Does is set and wind properly?
  2. Ownership History. What do you know the ownership history of the watch (i.e., how many owners)? How long have you owned the watch?
  3. Service History. What is the service history of the watch? When was the watch most recently serviced, who performed the service and what was done to the watch (adjustment or complete overhaul)?
  4. Chronograph / Complications. For a chronograph, is the start / stop / reset / quick and crisp (or difficult and mushy)? Are other complications (such as date or moonphase) setting and working properly?
  5. Cosmetic Condition. What is the cosmetic condition of the watch – dial, hands, case and crystal?
  6. Case. Do you believe that the case has its original finish, or has the case been polished, brushed or refinished? Do you see nicks, scratches, dings or corrosion on the case?
  7. Dial Can you confirm that the dial has not been refinished, restored, repainted or otherwise touched by human hands?
  8. Original Parts Do you believe that all the parts on the watch are original (i.e., were all these parts in the watch when it left the factory)? Please describe any parts that have been replaced.
  9. Movement. Do you see any corrosion, rust or scratches on the movement?
  10. Strap or Bracelet. Is the watch on a strap or a bracelet? Is it original? Is the bracelet full length, with all links?
  11. Extras. Do you have original box, warranty card and receipt for the watch? Any other extras?
  12. Serial Number and Markings. What are the serial numbers and other markings on the case or movement?

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

To the extent that seller is able to send photographs to address the matters listed above, you may be able to evaluate some of these elements for yourself. Encourage the seller to send multiple photos, from multiple angles, even if the photos will have reflections, glare, hot spots, etc. Multiple bad photos are often more valuable to the buyer than fewer good ones.

You are Buying the Seller

Of course, the best advice in buying a vintage watch is that you are actually buying the seller, as much as the watch, so you should also conduct appropriate “due diligence” regarding the seller. The manner in which the seller addresses the issues covered by these 12 questions will go a long way to informing you about the seller (and the watch).

Jeff Stein
March 19, 2014

Heuer Logo (White on Black)

Messages In This Thread

My Posting: Questions to Ask, When Buying a Vintage Watch
Re: My Posting: Questions to Ask, When Buying a Vintage Watc
How interesting this trial will be...
I love the questions but....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE