The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Mystery No. 178 -- Star of David (Six-Sided) on the Dial

As a collector of Judaica the subject of a Star of David (actually the Shield of David from the Hebrew "Magen David") finding its way onto watch dials has been of interest for some time. A number of watch makers, including Heuer and Junghans, have placed the Star on their dials. My research took me to manufacturers of beer steins in Germany and Switzerland, including Villaroy, who placed a mark that looks like a Star of David on their higher quality steins in the 1800s. This sign of quality was also used by some smaller breweries in Germany in the 1800s. I have a couple of Villeroy and Boch steins made in Mettlach with very prominent Stars of David on the lids. While this is by no means a conclusive answer, I believe it provides a credible theory but one that needs to be confirmed with the manufacturers.

Alex G.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE