The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
About the crowns *PIC*
In Response To: Re: … and the crown? ()

Hi Mark,

:: The crown is definitely wrong. Should be a wide, thin unsigned one.

Thank you very much for your assessment.

: Wide as in diameter, thin as in depth, I realise that sounded a bit
: contradictory!

Perfectly understood.

When purchasing the watch I realized the fat crown but assumed that it should be too difficult to take a signed crown from, for instance, a later Valjoux Cal. 72 Carrera and attach it to the totally different Landeron Cal. 189 movement.

In the meantime I detached the crowns with stems from this silver dial Carrera 45 Dato, my black dial JAF one, and also from an early (polygonal back) Cal. 72 Carrera 12. Although the winding stems of Cal. 189 and Cal. 72 differ in shape and profile (see the image below, left Cal. 189, right Cal. 72) I was able to screw the crown from the Cal. 72 stem on the Cal. 189 stem which initially carried the signed fat crown. It even looked right after inserting the crown with stem into the movement and it worked as expected. So the crowns are interchangeable.

I will now ask the seller whether he replaced the unsigned crown following the wrong assumption that the crown has to be signed. I hope that he did not yet get rid of this worthless unsigned crown :-)

Cheers,

Mick

Carrera crowns, from left to right: most probably wrong Carrera 45 Dato, correct Carrera 45 Dato, correct early Carrera 12

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE