The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Two Comments...

Heinz,

Thanks for this detailed and well thought out essay. I agree with all you say but I would like to flesh out one aspect and add a comment:

First I think it might be said that even thought they did not make everything "in-house" and they did source parts, mechanical assemblies, cases and dials etc, some Swiss watch companies stuck closer to a standard/specification than others.

Second, even if some companies, and I think Heuer might have been one of these, were a bit looser, especially at some points in their production, collectors know what "the specification" is and anything that falls outside the spec, whether it might be factory original or not, is looked upon as a variation/deviation. The collector market subtracts value for some variations and may even add value for others. Generally well known variations might add value where-as minor variations such as color deviations of bezels etc may subtract value.

As far as value is concerned market perception makes much more difference than general history. If the market says it isn't right, even when history says it might be, the market will always be right in terms of value.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE