The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: The Swiss Watch Industry, an Observers point of view.

John,
Thank you for your kind comments. I fully agree with your observations. Just like I pointed out in the article, we will see variations and that is something a collector would have to consider. Time causes things to age differently, exposure to the elements, as well as a new production run may produce a slightly different in looks.
I wanted to make people aware that during the 70's, some companies were struggling to survive and trying to recoup their losses by selling some of their surplus stock, especially with the uncertainty of the mechanical wristwatch. This why we see small companies watches lookalike's. But by knowing about the depression in that industry, it will help us evaluating a time piece. Watches that were produced from various parts should still be considered valuable time pieces because the effort that went into them producing them. Again, all this is up to the collector and as you say, the market determines the value.
These should be treated differently fro the "Frankenstein" model we encounter. Those have been well documented and I am sure we can easily identify them.
Appreciate your comments, Heinz.

Messages In This Thread

The Swiss Watch Industry, an Observers point of view.
Re: The Swiss Watch Industry, an Observers point of view.
Two Comments...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE