The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
$149k was a flukey result and if we are bringing Rolex in...
In Response To: My thoughts ()

...then one should also keep in mind 2008 and the Antiquorum "Revolution" bubble. Prices on Vintage Rolex spiraled upward somehwhat incredulously for several years and peaked with the "Revolution". And then the bubble popped and it took several more years for prices to come back to those heights and for some models they never did.
That said, genuinely rare watches are rare watches and should command a premium. As the old saying goes: "They ain't making any more of them." But these very rapid price escalations do bring in the possibility of a bubble-type event fed by non-collector financial speculators and general "irrational exuberance" by collectors themselves. Time will tell but I'm sure some wise old heads from other collectibles such as vintage autos, vintage guitars, etc will attest to this sort of high-flying boom & bust cycle. Sometimes rather than getting caught up in the hype one does best by keeping their powder dry and waiting to pick up the pieces should prices fall back to earth.
Best to all,
T.

: With Paul Newman Daytonas selling for £90k+ ($149k) then the best
: and rarest Heuers still look to be very good value in
: comparison, even allowing for some of the recent prices
: acheived. Even though it is sad for me knowing that 3 or 4 of
: the watches that I would dearly love to own are almost certainly
: spiralling beyond my reach, there is some comfort in the hope
: and belief that the better pieces that I have managed to buy
: over the last few years are doing OK; not that I have any
: intention of selling, simply that I feel marginally less anxious
: about some of the prices that I have paid to get the
: "right" watch.

: Best wishes to all

: Jon

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE