The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New arrival: Autavia 1163 from original rally winning owner

My latest aquisition. Here is the chronological history:

Thursday morning there was an Autavia for sale on the Danish equivalent of eBay. Really poor pictures but a fair price considering that it sported a GF bracelet. Got contact with the owner arranging to come in the evening.

Poul used to be a car salesman and rallying an Autobianchi A112 Abart. In 1976 his employer (PH Fiat, Odense) sponsored a local rally (PH-Fiat ESSO Rally) and paid for an Autavia 1163 to be the first price. His boss hoped to win the watch himself but rolled his car and Poul ended up winning the Autavia. He has used it every day since then.

After all the stories I turned to the watch and it was not as I had hoped. Start/stop pusher was not there. Unoriginal crown. No lume in hands. On the plus side it has a 3-6-9-12 dial and I believe that the case, although far from perfect, has never been polished.

We agreed on a price and I drove the 200 km home, quite happy.

Yesterday evening I took the watch apart and was able to install a new pusher and an original crown. But the chronograph will not start and the crystal is a real mess. The dial looks fantastic so new crystal will change the watch totally. It will be packed and go to Belgium for a service but no work on the case.

A few facts:
- Calibre 11 I. No stars stamped in case.
- Serial number 203889 so it is a very late 3-6-9-12 version.
- GF bracelet has no date stamped in the clasps.
- GF endlinks are HLF

Peter, Denmark
Excuse me for the poor mobile phone pictures.

As I got it:

Cleaned and with new crown and pusher:

Serial number and untouched case:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE