The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Thanks for interest. More info.

Dear Giuliano, Manuel, Darren and others

Thanks for your interest. I will try to answer the questions that have been raised.

Family. Poul who sold me the Autavia didn't continue rallying but kept his interest in cars as he owned various Alfa Romeo's. He didn't mention any sons racing.

Watch will have a movement service, new seals and crystal. Nothing else. Like to keep the scars of a one owner watch that has been used every day for 38 years - something like 14000 days. Hope The movement is not to worn.

Poul told that he won PH-Fiat ESSO Rally in 1976 but my research shows that the rally was probably held in 1974. And he also told that the bracelet was replaced because the original was worn out. These informations might answer some of Darrens questions regarding age of watch and bracelet.

The Autavia Movement Collection was not really complete as it had no cal. 11 I. It was thought to be such a small variation that it was not needed. But now it contains a cal. 11 I! (Darren it actually also misses a high beat prototype but you are the only one I know who has one and I am afraid it sticks to you)

Heuer Copenhagen Mini Summit summer 2014. Great idea. You, Jan and I will be there. And I have talked to Jarl from Norway and he will love to meet us. Who else from Scandinavia, Germany, Benelux, Poland do we know? Maybe we can take over the facilities from the European Music Contest! Let us keep the subject warm.

Peter, Denmark

: Tillykke Peter !!!
: Great to see a racing pedigree watch coming out of Denmark. As a
: champion of the Autavia & all its variants i'm also happy to
: see that you scored this beauty, its gone to a good home where
: it will be appreciated.
: There are however a few mysteries to this one. The fact that it was
: offered new as a prize in 1976 when all the clues point towards
: this being produced in the last part of 1970. I'm referring to
: both the low serial number & the dial/hand combination. Also
: surprising that an earlier example such as this watch wears a
: non year marked GF bracelet seems odd. It is completely possible
: the watch sat in a dealers stock for 6 years & the purchaser
: chose the have a GF fitted at its time of sale but naturally we
: will never know. ( Damn Heuer & there lack of record keeping
: )

: What are your plans for this one ? I really hope baby this finds a
: permanent place in your already impressive collection.
: If it were me i would not change the tachy insert out or have the
: case polished - let the living form of the watch tell its own
: history. I also think i would wear it on a black rally strap but
: then again thats my own preferences coming through.
: I hope to see this one in the flesh some time soon. I feel another
: Copenhagen get together must surely be on the cards !!! Good
: company, a couple beers & snaps , some nice food &
: plenty of watch talk would be very good for my soul. 😉

: Well done mate - Darren

: -
: -
: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE