The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Madness!! Seafarer Sold at 11,250 CHF

: This Abercrombie & Fitch Seafarer, in what appears to be
: fair condition, just sold for 11,250 CHF, including the buyers'
: premium.

: Has the world gone mad? Is this the "Hodinkee Effect",
: from this posting ?

Jeff,

A couple of things....First, wouldn't you like to see this watch in the flesh after seeing the picture. I am not going to say that the picture looks "doctored" but the photographic treatment is certainly odd. Second, on the question of "Is this the "Hodinkee effect""?...I think that if you mean specifically that Hodinkee is making a market I think maybe you give them too much credit, however, if you characterize the whole rabid watch market as "The Hodinkee Effect" then yes. I will not go so far as to say that Hodinkee makes the market and I will not go totally the other way and say that the market makes Hodinkee. Probably a bit of both are true.

What I can say with some certainty is that I wish I had a few watches sold in the last couple of years back right now...but looking back gets you nowhere.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE