The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Calling Our Photography Experts

The photograph in the Antiquorum catalog is a bit confusing, based on a comparison to the four samples shown OnTheDash.

Here is the Antiquorum photograph (as in the catalog and a more tightly cropped version), followed by the four samples shown OnTheDash.

The dial of this version of the Seafarer is a silvery-white, definitely not the flat, milky white that we see in the Antiquorum photograph. Others are better experts at the set-ups that produce various effects in photographs, but my guess is that the Antiqourum catalog photograph was made by putting the watch in a white tent or box. The white tent is then hit with a bright light, giving the dial a solid white tone, rather than the silver tone that we see in the OnTheDash samples. The markers on this version of the Seafarer are bright steel, and we do not usually see the cream tone around the markers. It is also unusual to see the corrosion, on the markers or on the main time-of-day hands.

The hands of the Antiquorum have a beautiful warm patina . . . perhaps this is the original lume, while the OTD samples have been re-lumed? That's just a guess, but you see that the tones are very different.

Looking at the "Seafarer" script at the top of the dial, the Antiquorum sample seems to have been written with a "Magic Marker", with heavier ink, compared with the OTD samples, which have a much finer script. But far be it from me to suggest, based on this one photo, that the Antiquorum dial has been refinished. Still you've got to wonder about this script, with the "e"s almost closed.

I am not suggesting any foul play or PhotoShop from Antiquorum . . . only that it is very difficult to evaluate this rather expensive watch, based on the one catalog photograph. Perhaps those who saw the watch in the metal can tell us what the tone was; perhaps some of our photography experts can explain how we see such a different tone in the Antiquorum sample compared with the OnTheDash samples. Maybe others received additional photos?

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: … and unfortunately I had to set a tough bidding limit for me.

: Antiquorum described the cosmetic condition of the watch as being
: very good, but case with scratches. I would say it is not better
: than good. There is one deeper scratch on a lug and there are
: spots on the dial, lume is ok. If you would like to see the
: defects in the catalogue photo you could detect them, but
: reading the word "Seafarer" may make you blind for
: these details :-) -- no obvious Photoshop crime here.

:
:

: The bidding started with commission bids from the auctioneer
: exceeding the estimate range and ended in a fight of two remote
: bidders if I remember correctly.

: Greetings from Geneva,

: Mick

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE