The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Shades of color

: The photograph in the Antiquorum catalog is a bit confusing,
: based on a comparison to the four samples shown OnTheDash.

: […]

: The dial of this version of the Seafarer is a silvery-white,
: definitely not the flat, milky white that we see in the
: Antiquorum photograph.

The dial of the Seafarer auctioned yesterday shows a nice, warm beige patina. It is neither silvery, cold, nor as bright as in the catalogue photo.

I've seen so many different shades of color on used tool watches like the Seafarer. I'm already satisfied if the dial is neither damaged nor repainted -- and aesthetically attractive. IMHO, you cannot decide about the correctness of an original Seafarer dial nowadays after fifty or sixty years. So I was fine with the dial and hands.

On the other hand I was turned off by the condition of the case. There are a few irregular scratches which in my eyes are too deep to get the case evenly refurbished but are too bad to let them untouched.

Anyway, there will be a lucky owner, and there certainly is a lucky seller -- and the auction house wins always :-)

Cheers,

Mick, hunting non Heuers today

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE