The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Maybe I'm Just Too Cheap ? ? ?

Hello Jeff,

I think the time only tells us, if our decision back then were right or wrong. At the moment you were always sure, that your price was the limit and I think, that this is okay.

And I kind of like your humbleness, but think you are already a very successful collector. And I'm sure I only know the tip of the iceberg. And deep inside you know it, too :-)

But some second places come to my mind as well.

A used 1563 tropical dial in the USA. Bad pictures and the condition didn't seem to be much better. If memory serves me well it went for ~1500$. I know the current owner and saw the finished example after a decent refurb. What can I say... It was worth the +/- 1500$.

I have access to a big file of old ebay auctions. All printed out and with the name of the winning bidder. Ebay was very transparent back in 2000-2005. Some well known names amongst the lucky winners. And you would bite yourself seeing mint 1163GMT go for 700€.

Kind regards,
Manuel

: Looking back at some of the watches on which I have been
: finished second in the bidding, these three come to mind
: quickly. Without checking my records, I seem to recall the
: following second place bids: Chronomatic Autavia . . . around
: $7,200 First execution screw-back Autavia . . . around $3,200
: Seafarer . . . around $3,500 The aggregate price of these three
: watches in (fairly) recent auctions? A little over $80,000.

: Of course, some of my second place finishes were a long time ago,
: and I have managed to win a few over the years, but these three
: are memorable. So maybe I am just too cheap / conservative to be
: a successful collector?

: Do others have pleasant or painful memories of their second place
: bids?

: Jeff

:
:

:
:

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE