The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Remember that Siffert w/ the Decimal bezel from Pawn Stars?

If you don't, see this thread for the video and a discussion on it: http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=68831

...the Hodinkee write-up here: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/video-rare-siffert-autavia-finds-its-way-onto-pawn-stars

...and Jeff's fuller write-up of it here: http://www.onthedash.com/thoughts/pawn-stars-autavia/

Well, I found myself in Las Vegas for work this week and I stopped by the shop to see it, having seen it on television for so long. Turns out that, perhaps to Lanny's dismay, the watch has NOT been sold after all. In fact, it's in the corner of the watch case and perhaps the first piece of jewelry a customer sees upon walking in the door.

The dial is a beautiful creamy white. No blemishes at all. The lume in the hands had faded nicely.

The decimal bezel is gorgeous. It's got an ever-so-slight fade to it, but has no dings or chips or markings on it. I've never seen one NOS, but I'd venture to say this one was pretty close.

The case is very nice shape. It didn't look to ever have been polished. The bevels were crisp and the top brushing was still visible (though not as pronounced as it likely once was).

The crystal was pretty scratched and scuffed, and would probably need to be replaced.

You'll recall that Rick, the pawnbroker, paid $8,000 for the piece. I spoke to Rocco, another pawnbroker who deals in jewelry for the shop, and he told me that although the episode aired in March, the watch was purchased in late October of last year. As is customary with every item they purchase on camera, they do not place it for sale until the episode airs (to maximize interest/profits, presumably). So the watch has been on sale for a bit less than two months.

The tag price on the watch was $16,000 -- double the purchase price. After some negotiating, the lowest they would come to was $14,000. Rocco said that because Rick purchased it on camera (and that episode will re-air several times), he would be unwilling to accept less than $14,000. I didn't buy it.

So there you have it -- call them up and ask for Rocco if you're interested.

Here's a crappy photo I took before it went back in the case:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE