The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: The bezel is questionable

Hi Carlos - seems you have the Heuer bug. Around here that’s quite common and totally understandable.
The watch looks correct apart from the crystal/bezel. The large gap between the mineral crystal and the bezel concerns me and should be a much smaller, almost non existent. This could be that it has the incorrect crystal (having never changed one myself that may be unlikely) or the bezel is from a 1163 GMT which makes more sense to me. If that is the case finding a bezel in as good condition (which is on the better side of average) will be difficult and expensive. In most examples I have had the bezel has a gloss finish and this one looks matt - again a sign that its from an earlier GMT namely the 1163. The dial has its issues or in some corners, plenty of patina so that’s a matter of personal taste. As to value, its is generally considered to be relative to the state of the bezel. So if this one is incorrect then it would be on the low side. For comparison this 11630 GMT set with incomplete original box and original bracelet achieved $3,250 in a straight auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heuer-Autavia-GMT-Cal-14-including-original-box-/301179440962?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item461fb18f42

Here are some images of a complete and correct example to familairise yourself with what they look like in mint condition:

http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/62.Autavia/e.Automatic_%28GMT%29/72.Reference_11630_GMT/b.Black_Registers/?show=16Aut11630GMTAMH.jpg

Hope that helps

regards
Paul
www.heuerworld.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE